DME generic selector knob control

Peer support for Air Manager desktop users

Moderators: russ, Ralph

ramberga

Re: DME generic selector knob control

#21 Post by ramberga »

Tony, Ralph, Keith, others -

I had a "Eureka' moment about editing an online instrument. If AM is being used to edit an existing instrument - and that instrument was from an online source - then the edits are local to AM. So, if a panel is using an online instrument - and that instrument is edited within 'create/edit' of AM, the online instrument "seen" by the panel is untouched by any of the edit.

Right?

Pete

Ralph

#22 Post by Ralph »

No, the sources used in the Home tab are the same as in the Create/Edit.

Ralph

#23 Post by Ralph »

I've added the hardware code to the instrument to make it easier. You only have to select the pins.

ramberga

#24 Post by ramberga »

Ralph - I see your code. It makes sense. I was thinking that changes made to an online instrument within AM would not affect the instrument in 'home', but I was mistaken. It made sense to me as soon as I saw your edited code in an online instrument!! :)

I am using the generic DME display instrument, rather than the receiver (which you edited). I have the 'display' unit working now, with a 3 way rotary switch.

Thanks for the help.

Pete

P.S. AM is a terrific piece of software. Great work, you guys...

ramberga

#25 Post by ramberga »

Ralph, Tony, Keith, others -

Update: each time I either put my computer to sleep, or stop AM and restart it, none of the external hardware devices work. I have to re-add the instruments back into the panel I am using. After I re-add the instruments to the panel, the hardware work again.

Understand that the instruments from before are still there - they simply do not allow the hardware devices to operate them.

I have a rotary switch with the generic DME display and two encoders with the VOR NAV1/ILS and VOR NAV2 online instruments.

All hardware works fine, until I either stop and restart AM or I put my computer to sleep and restart it. At that point, I have to re-add the 3 instruments back into the panel for the hardware to work.

BTW, the instruments show up in the panel list in 'home' regardless. I end up re-adding the same 'cloned' instrument to the panel and move it over the top of the existing one.

Also, Arduino shows as being connected regardless.

Any ideas?

Pete

Ralph

#26 Post by Ralph »

How about the pin configuration? Is that still present?

ramberga

#27 Post by ramberga »

Ralph - I hard-coded the pin numbers into the LUA code, using hardware_id. So, the pins haven't changed positions. I haven't altered the Arduino board or the USB connection. AM shows that the Arduino board is connected on COM 9, as always.

Do you remember the issue I had last year concerning my computer having the issue with AM using all of the CPU time? You suggested I try to updated BETA version and the CPU issue never came back.

Is this another computer issue on my end?

It just seems so odd. I just tried it again to make sure - every time I stop and restart AM, the instruments show up in the panel and Arduino board shows up as connected. But, the hardware devices don't work. As soon as I re-add the same cloned instruments back into the panel (they are now duplicates of the others), the hardware devices work.

???

ramberga

#28 Post by ramberga »

P.S. code I added for the generic DME display:

dme_switch = hw_switch_add("ARDUINO_LEONARDO_A_D2", "ARDUINO_LEONARDO_A_D3", "ARDUINO_LEONARDO_A_D4", new_state)

It works great and the 3 way switch operates correctly - until I stop and restart AM (or put the computer to sleep and wake it).

VOR NAV2 instrument code:

dial_obs = hw_dial_add ("ARDUINO_LEONARDO_A_D10","ARDUINO_LEONARDO_A_D11", "TYPE_1_DETENT_PER_PULSE", 1, new_obs)

Again, the encoder works great, until I stop and restart AM.

?????

Ralph

#29 Post by Ralph »

Can you tell me which instrument you're using exactly, then I'll add the script, because it's all very vague on what you did exactly.

I'm also a bit confused about the hardware you're using, I thought you were using a 3 way switch.

ramberga

#30 Post by ramberga »

Ralph - let me try to simplify things.

1. initial problem was that I could get the external hardware device (3 way rotary switch) to operate the 'generic DME display' instrument in the 'create/edit' tab when doing a 'run', but not the 'home' tab..
2. when I 'stopped' the run and went to 'home' tab, the same generic DME display instrument would not operate with the rotary switch.
3. I asked the forum about anything that might be wrong, and Tony got me to understand that 'cloning' any online instrument should be done (for reasons I now understand).
4. I re-did everything, but used the cloned version of the generic DME display instrument. Same problem.
5. I went ahead and made 2 other rotary encoders work with the VOR NAV1/ILS and the VOR NAV2 instruments, but only in the 'create/edit' tab when 'running' them. Again, same problem.

6. So, now I erased all of those instruments from my panel, started over and just used your online generic DME receiver in which you added a 3 way rotary switch option. You will see 2 screenshots attached that show the pin configurations in the 'create/edit' tab, as well as the 'home' tab.
7. the same problem occurs with your instrument. I can 'run/stop' in the 'create/edit' tab and the instrument works perfectly with the 3 way rotary switch (using Arduino pins D2, D3 and D4). But, if I 'stop' the instrument in 'create/edit' and go to the 'home' tab to run AM with X-Plane, the instrument (cloned version that I added to the panel) will not operate with the 3 way rotary switch.

It's as if the 'home' instrument does not recognize the pin assignment - like there is no connection whatsoever to the 3 way switch via the Arduino board.

Hope this makes more sense.

Pete
DME receiver in create edit tab.jpg
DME receiver in home tab.jpg