Thinking of buying questions

Peer support for Air Manager desktop users

Moderators: russ, Ralph

BIT64

Thinking of buying questions

#1 Post by BIT64 »

Hello,

I am looking at purchasing air manager to build a simpit but I have a few questions.

If I use multiple raspberry pi's for connecting instruments panels do I need a license for every pi I have?

I am looking at building a trim wheel and a autothrottle feature in my simpit, I looked at a youtube video and saw that you have to flash your arduino then it can be used with air manager.

I see that it's easy to send/receive data to the arduino but is there a way to custom program it for the autothrottle?

Thank you,

jph

Re: Thinking of buying questions

#2 Post by jph »

HI,
For real custom work the check out https://siminnovations.com/wiki/index.p ... ssage_port
Look for 'Message Port'
You can do whatever custom feature you want. You need to be familiar with Arduino programming and most likely have a reasonable level of electronics / hardware experience.

However - for Motorised Auto Throttles etc, you can use a normal AM flashed image driving quality / high torque stepper motors via suitable stepper driver boards and suitable calibration sensors. You don't need message port for this. Just a bit of careful consideration of how the system is going to work.
Same as a trim wheel - motorised or not. The same - 'need to have a reasonable level of electronics / hardware experience' is still applicable of course.
There is no instruction manual for these kind of projects but it is fairly straight forwards given a good level of background experience in the hardware required and interfacing techniques.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Tetrachromat

#3 Post by Tetrachromat »

BIT64 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:16 pm ... If I use multiple raspberry pi's for connecting instruments panels do I need a license for every pi I have?
Hi

You do not need a license for hardware devices, wheter it is Arduino or Raspberry. You only need one license for each copy of Air Manager/AirPlayer. You can add as many hardware devices as you need.

Paul

jph

#4 Post by jph »

Tetrachromat wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:48 pm
BIT64 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:16 pm ... If I use multiple raspberry pi's for connecting instruments panels do I need a license for every pi I have?
Hi

You do not need a license for hardware devices, wheter it is Arduino or Raspberry. You only need one license for each copy of Air Manager/AirPlayer. You can add as many hardware devices as you need.

Paul
Hi Paul, you don't need any licenses for Arduino per se. HOWEVER, for a Raspberry Pi this is not the case ! you need an AM licence for the main PC, and an Air Player licence for EACH raspberry Pi.
Air Player requires an active Air Manager V4 desktop license to configure the application! And each Raspberry Pi requires one license. Note that Air Player cannot be configured with Air Manager for iPad or Android.
also - https://www.siminnovations.com/buy/prod ... spberry-pi

So the answer to THAT part of the OP question is YES.
However, personally, I see no point in using the raspberry Pi but that is my choice. It is simply too slow as a display output and not just not worth bothering with as an I/O device.

There is the New Raspberry Pi PICO but that is a completely different animal. I think some clarity (perhaps quite a bit ;) ) on this would be useful. It is a completely separate device from a 'raspberry Pi' although the name is totally confusing. The best term to use is probably just a PICO.
In this case, it is superb and is purely an I/O platform. for this, you do not need any individual licenses (same as Arduino).
Joe.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.