Unification of instrument design

Peer support for Air Manager desktop users

Moderators: russ, Ralph

falcon50

Unification of instrument design

#1 Post by falcon50 »

Hello everyone.

I have tried various air managers, but when I display various instruments, the design is squishy and there is no sense of unity.
Is there an easy way to unify the design?
It may be unavoidable because the designers are different.
For example, when making an instrument for PA-44, divert the missing instrument from PA-34 etc.
Do I have to design it myself from the beginning?

Sling

Re: Unification of instrument design

#2 Post by Sling »

Not sure what you mean by squishy. Can you elaborate. The unity is as you have already gathered and probably because the designer is different. You maybe don’t have to start from scratch but you could perhaps modify the ones in the minority so they have the same look as the majority. This can often just be a case of using the same surround/background image for all the instruments in a panel. Further changes beyond that are a little more involved but not that hard.

Tony

falcon50

#3 Post by falcon50 »

The expression "squishy" was ambiguous.
I tried arranging the PA-44 and PA-34 instruments side by side, but the design is not unified.
Do I have to clone and process each instrument?
Attachments
PA44.jpg

JackZ

#4 Post by JackZ »

If by “unified” you mean the bezel is round for some, and square for others, then it’s of course related to each designer’s choice.
I can see you’re using at least one or two instruments of mine which are obviously unified one to another, but of course I designed these to my liking!

Graphics skills, fidelity to details and personal taste are another point, and is understandable considering these are free community instruments coming from different designers.

For the bezel issue, what one can certainly do is to modify the bezel image by removing the square part. This can be done in Skinman using Boolean operations, I had done a tutorial for this a couple of years ago, but unfortunately there have never been a way to make messages sticky on the forum such as tutorials, so it’s lost somewhere in the forum.

Jacques
Last edited by JackZ on Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
My YouTube Chanel on the A320 (Real SOPs by an Airline Pilot IRL):
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 0Q6SBASRqJ

JackZ

#5 Post by JackZ »

Consider yourself lucky, I found my old (4 years old) thread! https://siminnovations.com/forums/view ... f=16&t=474
As a return back to the community, I suggest you publish your “unified” version on the store for others to use.
My YouTube Chanel on the A320 (Real SOPs by an Airline Pilot IRL):
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 0Q6SBASRqJ

falcon50

#6 Post by falcon50 »

Thank you, I will challenge!