need to reload plugin each boot up

Peer support for Air Manager desktop users

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Corjan

Re: need to reload plugin each boot up

#21 Post by Corjan »

Hi Paul,

The AM BETA is not related to the plugin in this case.

You can however use the latest AM BETA if you want too, doesn't matter,

Corjan

Tetrachromat

#22 Post by Tetrachromat »

With the new BETA plugin the issues continue to show up. And I speak of at least two issues:

First issue
This is what @slo642 originally posted. After a shutdown of PC and subsequent start the plugin service may crash and must be restarted manually. I could relate this issue to the windows shutdown procedure. Windows 10 uses a "hybrid shutdown" for "Fast Restart* as the default method. It looks like the service is in a kind of hibernated status while the PC is down. Sometimes it may function properly after booting, but most of the time it just crashes (windows event viewer shows it).

This has been proven with a minimal setup. Everything from 'Autostart' not related to Air Manager was disabled. So only the 'FS2020BridgeService' got loaded on booting and 'airplugin' WASM module was loaded from the 'Community Folder' when MSFS2020 started. Neither 'Air Player' nor 'Air Manager' have been started during the testing.

SOLUTION is to change to a proper shutdown method. This is done on the power plan settings. There are some option to define what happens on Shutdown. You should disable 'Fast Start' although it is "recommended" (I do not experience extended booting times at all).

Second issue
After disabling 'Fast Start' I still occasionally experience a plugin crash. Usually after MSFS2020 has been stopped and restarted only. Not on the first session after a reboot. But it only occures when 'Air Player' has been started. I prefer to start it before I start MSFS2020. Sometimes when MSFS2020 reaches the main menu, it could be that the plugin service needs a manual restart.

I will do some more investigation on the second issue and report here as well.

Paul

scottwbennett

#23 Post by scottwbennett »

I'm having the same problem. I have to run the plugin installer every time I run the FS2020. Air Manager is working and talking to hardware but bridge is not working. Only works after installation, which I do while sim and air manager are both running. Perhaps this might be the problem?

Ralph

#24 Post by Ralph »

But are you using the beta version?

Tetrachromat

#25 Post by Tetrachromat »

scottwbennett wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:33 am I'm having the same problem. I have to run the plugin installer every time I run the FS2020.
Scott, you dont need to install every time. Just open Task Manager, select Services tab and restart FS2020 Bridge service.

Paul

Tetrachromat

#26 Post by Tetrachromat »

Ralph, is there a way to have a more verbose log?

Ralph

#27 Post by Ralph »

Yes, if you use the beta version...

scottwbennett

#28 Post by scottwbennett »

Tetrachromat wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:08 pm
scottwbennett wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:33 am I'm having the same problem. I have to run the plugin installer every time I run the FS2020.
Scott, you dont need to install every time. Just open Task Manager, select Services tab and restart FS2020 Bridge service.

Paul
Thank you very much that saved a lot of pain. I don't like admitting my ignorance but I'm new to the pc and most of this stuff.

Not sure if this is the correct way to do it but I updated the Event IDs in a clone of Russ Barlow's G1000 overlay and it is all working well in FS2020* with touch screens and DIY Knobster.

*Using MobiFlight events txt in community folder.

Now if somebody knows a way to have fS2020 remember the position of popped out windows on multiple monitors, that would be very useful too ;-)

I've been winging it on my own, so would be happy to be given any advice.

cheers,

Scott

Ralph

#29 Post by Ralph »

Starting the service each time, even from task manager, is not really our preferred option :) Therefore, please use the beta, and let us know if this helps or not. If not, then check the fs2020_log.txt or send it to us. The current logging might not be of much use at this point, but we have to start somewhere.

scottwbennett

#30 Post by scottwbennett »

Ralph wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:38 am Starting the service each time, even from task manager, is not really our preferred option :) Therefore, please use the beta, and let us know if this helps or not. If not, then check the fs2020_log.txt or send it to us. The current logging might not be of much use at this point, but we have to start somewhere.
Will do. And will report back.

cheers,

Scott