Is there a panel instrument Carb Heat Swtich?

Peer support for Air Manager desktop users

Moderators: russ, Ralph

miner_tom

Is there a panel instrument Carb Heat Swtich?

#1 Post by miner_tom »

Hi, I am flying a Cessna 152 and realized that the panel that I designed does not have a carb heat switch. I was not able to find an instrument for it in the "online" folder.
There is a carb heat switch on the interior instrument panel of the plane but not on the panel that I have created, which is on a separate monitor.
Is there a keyboard shortcut for carb heat that I need to use instead?

Thank You
Tom

Ralph

Re: Is there a panel instrument Carb Heat Swtich?

#2 Post by Ralph »

For Flight Simulator 98 or for Macintosh (1986)?

jph

#3 Post by jph »

:D
Ralph wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 7:19 am For Flight Simulator 98 or for Macintosh (1986)?
Hey Tom ;) , a bit more info would be good ? are you using a Tandy TRS-80 Model 1 Level 2 with 48K expansion and the external dual 5,25 floppy addon ? - I bought the Sublogic one in 1980 - it's USP was 3 - yes THREE FPS.. It was amazing at the time. Good old Bruce eh ?

that dates you Ralph :lol: - I was 23 at the time (in 1980 !) ... and I paid over a grand - cash - in Manchester - for the TRS-80 M1 L2 with all the trimmings - SECOND HAND !. It was an amazing machine.

Joe.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

miner_tom

#4 Post by miner_tom »

Sorry all, I suppose that a little more information would have been welcome.

I am using the latest version of X Plane 11. The aircraft was not native to X Plane but I purchased the C152 from "Just Flight".

There is a carb heat lever on the aircraft panel, but I don't use the stock aircraft panel in flight because I use the air manager panel instead with the internal view set to no instruments, ie, the instruments that I see in the separate display are only those that I have set up in the air manager panel.

I did find that controls f10 and f9 turn on and turn off carb heat. What I was looking for was a way to incorporate the carb heat level into my air manager display.

Thank you for your responses.

Tom

JackZ

#5 Post by JackZ »

It is about time you bit the bullet and dive into the joy of instrument development. :D
The carb heat gauge is quite simple to develop, I guess it’s an ON/OFF lever IIRC.
So basically what you’ll have to create is a switch, with two positions fully in and fully out.
Probably something like 6 lines of code total.

The forum is here to help, and you can start with the brilliant video tutorials from Tony »Sling »
My advice is to start first with the graphic assets that you will need.
If you have a graphic editor that can produce png images with transparency, (or else I strongly advise the use of Skinman), just create two background transparent images of a filled circle.

Each image is exactly the same as the other with the « out » position being offset by say 10 to 15 pixels to the right and down to emulate the knob protruding (you can also easily add a shadow with Skinman).

Second thing is to find the proper Datarefs for carb heat, but I suspect that these are standard XPlane ones. My advice is to use the Dataref Editor and look for "carb", but it's more than likely sim/flightmodel/engine/ENGN_heat or even better sim/cockpit2/engine/actuators/carb_heat_ratio as FLOAT[8]

Once done, you are ready to create your first gauge. Have a look at the wiki pages and videos about adding a switch, there are some example that might help.

Jacques
My YouTube Chanel on the A320 (Real SOPs by an Airline Pilot IRL):
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 0Q6SBASRqJ

JackZ

#6 Post by JackZ »

I correct myself, after a smart suggestion of Keith: Just use the xpl_command instead of xpl_dataref_write, it is easier.

Code: Select all

xpl_command("sim/engines/carb_heat_on")
and

Code: Select all

xpl_command("sim/engines/carb_heat_off")
Jacques
My YouTube Chanel on the A320 (Real SOPs by an Airline Pilot IRL):
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 0Q6SBASRqJ

jph

#7 Post by jph »

miner_tom wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 3:51 pm Sorry all, I suppose that a little more information would have been welcome.
All in good fun Tom. :D
Joe. CISSP, MSc.