Raspberry PICO and Message Port ?

Peer support for Air Manager desktop users

Moderators: russ, Ralph

jph

Raspberry PICO and Message Port ?

#1 Post by jph »

Hi @Corjan @Ralph

Can you include a way to get Messageport working on PICO ?
Thanks
Joe,
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Ralph

Re: Raspberry PICO and Message Port ?

#2 Post by Ralph »

I think that you can connect the Pi to Arduino IDE, so in theory yes.

jph

#3 Post by jph »

I would appreciate it if you can check at your end as, yes, the message port sketch compiles fine on the pico in Arduino IDE (I just set it to mega or similar for testing as I believe that in theory the device selected in message port is only for the 'identifier' in AM ?)
It then shows as com 15 or whatever port on the PC. However, it is not seen at all in AM.
Could you check at your end please ?

As said, it compiles fine in the Arduino IDE.
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Ralph

#4 Post by Ralph »

Oh yes right, there's only pin more for the Pico at the moment I think, forgot about that. Probably in a later release...

jph

#5 Post by jph »

Hi Ralph, @Ralph
Please can you clarify what you mean by "there's only pin more for the Pico at the moment I think"
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

jph

#6 Post by jph »

Just for information .....

I have always been under the impression that the 'naming' - as in - SI_MESSAGE_PORT_DEVICE_ARDUINO_LEONARDO is purely that - a name to refer to, as in, I just compiled the MP sketch on an UNO, but used the SI_MESSAGE_PORT_DEVICE_ARDUINO_LEONARDO in the messagePort = new SiMessagePort( .......) and it works fine. It shows up as a Leonardo, yet is an uno. I used to do the same for DUE.

Other observations.
MP seems to be using the standard arduino.h include in its src files, also it is using the standard Serial.begin(115200).
I can compile MP on the pico with absolutey no problems (apart from AM does not see it....)
the serial i/o is working perfectly as I can use a standard Serial.print(); or Serial.println(); and it is absolutely fine in serial monitor.
IN fact, If I add a Serial.println("hello world from pico"); to the MP Sketch, it works fine on the Arduino IDE serial monitor.

I AM using the 'non updated' version of MP sketch as the one in the current DL section (the one with the added device names) does not work for anything - it will not compile) - I don't know if you are aware of that ? - the link to MP download simply does not compile on anything. !.. this was discussed in a different thread. Hence the guys using MP are using the original version - although - apart from file dates, the latest MP Download sketch is STILL using the same version number. However, I do not think that it is the issue.
Thanks,
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Corjan

#7 Post by Corjan »

Hi,

That issue has been fixed.
It the Arduino library for the Pico mappes the Serial functions to the virtual serial port, it should work like any other arduino device.

Not sure why it wouldn't,
Corjan

jph

#8 Post by jph »

Corjan wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 6:26 pm Hi,

That issue has been fixed.
It the Arduino library for the Pico mappes the Serial functions to the virtual serial port, it should work like any other arduino device.

Not sure why it wouldn't,
Corjan
@Corjan
Hi Corjan
Yes, it definitely maps to the VCP correctly. It compiles perfectly also. It is simply never seen in AM.
Here is an example of the basic 'ASCIITable' sketch to VCP - on com15 here as can be seen.
PicoSerialArduinoTest.jpg
I would be really grateful if you could check it out at your end.
I have both the Arduino produced MBED 2040 board def installed, and the Earle FP III Board def - no difference. But the example shown above was using the Arduino released Board defs etc.

Joe
picolibs.jpg
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

jph

#9 Post by jph »

@Corjan

UPDATE- hmm. there does seem to be a small issue with baud rate selection where the pico seems to be ignoring the Serial.begin(XYZ...); Baud rate setting... :( - in the built in Arduino serial monitor, it doesnt matter what the baud rate is set to, it seems to be defaulting to somewhere at least 115200.. let me check .

I will just DL another of my terminal programs to check the default.

UPDATE 2 - Well, I can't explain it - but it appears that the Pico 'auto baud rates' to the terminal setting (ie it ignore theSerial.begin(XYZ...) baud as said above. .......................... :shock: - no matter what you set either the external terminal serial baud rate to the PICO sets itself to some FAST baud rate - but works fine -

Some info here that probably - well absolutely certainly - means more to you than me ;)

https://arduino-pico.readthedocs.io/en/ ... erial.html

However, I presume you must already also be using a similar thing - ie - via the USB CDC - with the AM flash for Pico - to communicate with AM ???? - but - that is 'above my pay grade :o ;) '

Thanks Corjan

Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Mickolodias

#10 Post by Mickolodias »

Hi Joe

Did you ever get the Pico to work? I was just playing around with one and also can't get it to show up in AM

Cheers,
Mick
I'm one of 'those' mac guys. (and I have no idea why I can't afford to eat)