AM 4.0 Crashes on "Show" !!!

Peer support for Air Manager desktop users

Moderators: russ, Ralph

jph

Re: AM 4.0 Crashes on "Show" !!!

#11 Post by jph »

Ralph wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 12:13 pm Okay, the usual suspect. There's something wrong with Intel GPU's, we're not sure what. I'm also not sure if we can fix it, might be a problem in the Intel drivers.
;) Hey Ralph, That is a VERY VERY bold statement ... :o :)

"There's something wrong with Intel GPU's " what ??? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

WHAT are you testing on ? .. what are you basing your findings on ? - I am utterly shocked that you would say that.
HOW can you rule out LUA - AM - whatever, and come to the conclusion it is Intel GPU or DRIVER ?
Again, sorry, but I am utterly shocked at that conclusion.
You should be testing everything on INTEL, then if there is a problem with AMD, you look closely at AMD, not the other way around. Intel is the DEFACTO standard.
:o :geek:
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

mwittl

#12 Post by mwittl »

Confirmed it's the Intel GPU. Found an old spare AMD GPU card and threw it in....it works with the AM 4.01 installation. That's ok for me but probably does no good for others in the same boat.

Ralph

#13 Post by Ralph »

We made some changes to make it work on the high end GPU's like the 1080 and 2080's. But it's gonna be on list of items to check for 4.1, so more news later.

Ralph

#14 Post by Ralph »

From what we saw, if I remember correct, with an Intel GPU that we did some debugging on, is that the Intel drivers crashed somewhere down deep. We've also seen issues where they say that it supports OpenGL 2.0, but in fact it then turns out to be some subset of 2.0. Probably not putting this in correct technological terms, but there are a couple of issues we're seeing. But since it worked in 3.7, it might be something we can fix.

mwittl

#15 Post by mwittl »

That's good news! One more quick question....since I put the AMD card in, AM is now identifying the monitors reversed. In Windows my left monitor is #1 and my right monitor is #2 but now when I say display a panel on Display #1...it displays on the right side instead of the left. Is there some config setting for this or do I need to change all panels to specify they display opposite to what I need?

Ralph

#16 Post by Ralph »

It's not necessarily the order as displayed in Windows. I'm not exactly sure where the number comes from. But as long as you know that shouldn't be a problem I suppose?

Roxus

#17 Post by Roxus »

jph wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 12:30 pm "There's something wrong with Intel GPU's " what ??? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

You should be testing everything on INTEL, then if there is a problem with AMD, you look closely at AMD, not the other way around. Intel is the DEFACTO standard.
Intel GPUs are not the standard. I think you're confusing their CPU's with GPU's.
This problem is reported (including me) on older (mine was a HD 3000) Intel GPU's and the crash occurs in the Direct3D libraries (D3D11.DLL) or in the Intel driver itself.
This puts the problem on Intels back, for a product they have zero interest in fixing (latest drivers for my HD 3000 were 2015 !!)

Ralph

#18 Post by Ralph »

We can probably at least give it a try. Since it used to work with 3.7, it might be something simple.

jph

#19 Post by jph »

Roxus wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:23 pm
jph wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 12:30 pm "There's something wrong with Intel GPU's " what ??? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Intel GPUs are not the standard. I think you're confusing their CPU's with GPU's.
This problem is reported (including me) on older (mine was a HD 3000) Intel GPU's and the crash occurs in the Direct3D libraries (D3D11.DLL) or in the Intel driver itself.
This puts the problem on Intels back, for a product they have zero interest in fixing (latest drivers for my HD 3000 were 2015 !!)
Hi Roxus,
I am not confusing CPU and GPU. An intel CPU with integrated or discrete GPU is the standard to test on prior to add in gpus cards - with a caveat that it should be a currently supported unit !. As with all things computing, Items become obsolete or EOL. Hence the last driver released for the HD3000 integrated GPU was in 2015. It is not and never was W10 certified and never even offered any degree of compatibility with even win 8.1 - apart from 'suck it and see' - Even then, it was EOL at THAT time so anything that changed OS wise - update / patch etc etc is not in any way the responsibility of Intel from the EOL.
for example -
"This driver will install on Windows 8.1 though it is not certified for this version of OS and is provided as-is and is not supported by Intel Technical Support or any other department at Intel."
Unless I missed it - apologies if I did - , then until the mention of the obsolete 3000 series you never mentioned before the type of integrated GPU you were using.

However ! -
is not justified, appropriate or fair and I believe you are being misguided to think otherwise. A non supported item (by Intel) is not something that is 'their fault' or the fault of 'their driver'. THERE IS NOTHING TO FIX ! . It has been in this state for 6 years !. :shock: :roll:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downlo ... ows-15-28-

As Ralph has said though, the fact that it appeared ok on 3.7 means it should be possible to correct the issue.
I have several machines sporting same vintage 3470S units with HD2500 series !. I have not tested on those I must admit and it would be a bit pointless as they have either a GTX660 or a GTX970 in with the onboard processor gpu disabled. Obviously if you have a laptop then it is not an option..
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Roxus

#20 Post by Roxus »

jph wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:12 am I have several machines sporting same vintage 3470S units with HD2500 series !. I have not tested on those I must admit and it would be a bit pointless as they have either a GTX660 or a GTX970 in with the onboard processor gpu disabled. Obviously if you have a laptop then it is not an option..
Its a Windows7 laptop from about 2014 I'm gonna say ? ... let me check ... first released in Dec 2012, so I prolly got it in 2013

The last released of DirectX11 was 2015, that same time they released the last version of the HD3000 drivers.
So when they released the drivers, it presumably had this problem (since nothing has been updated for Windows7 or the drivers since then) and AM4 is making use of some function/ability that they didnt code for properly under DX11. Thats Intels fault, pure and simple (and I've been a software developer for more than 30 years).