Garmin G5 with electrical failure

Peer support for Air Manager desktop users

Moderators: russ, Ralph

uptimist

Garmin G5 with electrical failure

#1 Post by uptimist »

I was doing some scenario based training with a panel using the G5 instrument (which by the way is great, and I recommend to anyone considering purchase).

If the battery master is switched off in XP to simulate total electical failure, the G5 shows the battery symbol (good), and keeps airspeed and altitude (good) but the attitude indication freezes. I am guessing the instrument is referring to AHARS datarefs (like sim/cockpit2/gauges/indicators/roll_AHARS_deg_pilot) which are no longer updated with master switch off. Looking at other "steam" attitude indicator implementations which carry on showing attitude, at least one refers instead to the indicator (sim/cockpit/misc/ah_adjust), which is unaffected by electrical failure.

Ralph, I know you have plenty on your plate with 4.0. Could you add this to list of G5 enhancements? (It was an interesting scenario, because it did show how scary a full AHARS failure in IMC with no backup is - I survived but only by turning power back on, and pulling up 500 ft agl...)

Thank you!

Sling

Re: Garmin G5 with electrical failure

#2 Post by Sling »

The problem with using the steam gauge datarefs for backup is they need vacuum pressure to be maintained.

Ralph

#3 Post by Ralph »

I'm starting to parrot myself :) Our G5 is in no way a trainer for the real G5. This is also described on our wiki in a red highlighted message:
The Sim Innovations Garmin G5 is an interpretation of the real G5 unit build by Garmin. It is in no way a training aid for the real Garmin G5 flight instrument!

uptimist

#4 Post by uptimist »

Ok, I understand and accept the disclaimer, but presumably the closer the behaviour of the “interpretation” is to to the real thing, the more “entertaining” it is (otherwise why do we bother even approximating it), so I think it’s still worth pointing out these differences.

Ralph

#5 Post by Ralph »

I suppose it is, but we have to draw a line somewhere. People seem to forget that we're just a two men operation, and developing the G5 is certainly not our core business, we're not Garmin. If you want it to behave as the real thing, then you'll have to buy the real thing. If you are willing to buy our G5 panel for $3000 per 'device' then I'll happily add that function for you :lol:

uptimist

#6 Post by uptimist »

Of course, that’s your right as a commercial operator to decide where to focus your resources. I am not making any demands, but I felt it is in the normal spirit of the forum to provide constructive input and feedback on the products provided to help you improve them if you wish, and that is the spirit in which it is made. Note I started my first post on this thread with a comment about what a good product it is and recommend other people purchase.