GTN750/650 Overlays

Peer support for Air Manager desktop users

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Ralph

Re: GTN750/650 Overlays

#11 Post by Ralph »

You can also make one panel out of multiple panels. Then add the GNS to its dedicated small panel.

FlyerDavidUK

#12 Post by FlyerDavidUK »

I wish it were that simple. I hope it is.

Tried exactly as you suggested. Background color set to transparent but the "hole" still shows up as white instead of the blue behind on the desktop.

See screenshots of configuration options set and resulting display
UK Private pilot and flight instructor with CPL/IR/FI/IRI approx 2000 hours offering remote flight instruction via Zoom
See my FlyerDavidUK.com website for trip reports around Europe/US, my training experience and services offered

Ralph

#13 Post by Ralph »

But why is the 'hole' white? :) Are you using a PNG image with transparency?

FlyerDavidUK

#14 Post by FlyerDavidUK »

But why is the 'hole' white? :) Are you using a PNG image with transparency?
I've attached this Dropbox link to the custom panel file earlier in this thread.
I believe it does have transparency for the hole, but I can't find a reliable way to check this.

I've generated files using GIMP, Skinman and an online transparency image website Lunapic all with similar results.

Is it possible for a helpful Forumite to confirm if this image does indeed have transparency for the hole, or point me to a simple tool that would verify that?
Last edited by FlyerDavidUK on Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UK Private pilot and flight instructor with CPL/IR/FI/IRI approx 2000 hours offering remote flight instruction via Zoom
See my FlyerDavidUK.com website for trip reports around Europe/US, my training experience and services offered

FlyerDavidUK

#15 Post by FlyerDavidUK »

I've just had another go using Lunapic. One of the panel background files I was using was not of the correct size. It looks like if the image has to be scaled it loses that transparency.

Anyway, it works as it should now. This will make my life a whole lot simpler.

New panel image here

Lessons learned:
- Beware built in Windows Picture program. It does not display transparency
- Check the size of your background panel image exactly matches that of the panel.

Ralph

#16 Post by Ralph »

Paint doesn't as well. Tools like Photoshop, Paint.net and probably Gimp, oh and of course Skinman, they work well for this purpose.

Sling

#17 Post by Sling »

I tried your image and it worked other than you didn’t have the background set to transparent just as I posted. It looks like you just didn’t have the correct png with the correct transparent settings in Air Manager at the same time. At least you have it working now.

TheSoup

#18 Post by TheSoup »

@Sling I apologize for resurrecting an old post, but I wanted to learn more about your GTNMINI Layout.

Following your previous instructions, I was able to setup a basic panel layout with transparent background that included RealityXP GTN750 XP11 Popout with Airmanager Overlay on a touchscreen monitor. Would you be willing to share you GTN650 overlay? I'm brand new to Air Manager and wasn't able to find a GTN650 plugin at first glance. I ordered a knobster and I'm concerned that without an airmanger overlay for the GTN650, I won't be able to get it to work.

My end goal is the G5, GTN750, GTN650TXI, G500, Garmin Audio Panel and the JPI EDM900.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sling

#19 Post by Sling »

Hi TheSoup,

First up welcome to the forum and Air Manager. This is probably not the best way to get good response especially as it’s your very first post. The forum is a place to find help not really for requesting someone else give you their hard work with little to no effort on your side. I’m always amazed at requests for so called sharing. For me sharing involves us all giving equally but unfortunately some don’t want to contribute. I share my time helping others achieve their ideas but I don’t give out my work for free without seeing a commitment or purpose I like for this reason. I’d be happy to help you as I have many others to get started or to resolve issues you will have along the way.

BTW there is no such unit as a GTN650Txi. You are mixing a GTN650 with a G500/600/700 Txi or perhaps you mean the GTN 650xi.

navymustang

#20 Post by navymustang »

I also can say I have a transparent window on my main panel working as a display for another instrument. In my case, I have the Rex weather radar as an instrument that displays through a transparent hole in my AM panel. Works great