Incorrect monitor assignments in Air Manager

Peer support for Air Manager desktop users

Moderators: russ, Ralph

RonVF

Incorrect monitor assignments in Air Manager

#1 Post by RonVF »

I have a question that maybe someone can help with. I am currently running 1 Windows 10 PC with 5 monitors all together. 3 coming out of my 2080ti graphics card labeled by my PC as 1,3,2 from left to right that I use for X-Plane 11, or just #3 for MSFS And 2 Wimaxit 15.6 touch screen monitors plugged into a Plugable device, showing in Windows 10 as 4 and 5 left to right that I use for Air Manager and a knobster. Now the issue I have is in Air Manager 4.0 (or 3.7), it assigns any new panels I build to the Wimaxit monitors reversed. 4 is 5 and 5 is 4. No big deal but I’m afraid to use Russ Barrows Pop Weasel program to pop out the G1000 panels or or any Garmin panel, fearing it may assign my changes to the wrong monitors. Thank you.

JohnF

Re: Incorrect monitor assignments in Air Manager

#2 Post by JohnF »

I have found that windows changes monitor positions if they are not all on when computer started, start all monitors first before starting computer then windows, Air manager seems to keep panels etc.

Ralph

#3 Post by Ralph »

This usually happens with VGA monitors. Or is it all HDMI?

RonVF

#4 Post by RonVF »

JohnF wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:07 am I have found that windows changes monitor positions if they are not all on when computer started, start all monitors first before starting computer then windows, Air manager seems to keep panels etc.
I have all monitors on and restarted my computer. Then started X-plane, then started AM. Still the same issue, Windows shows my 2 lower Wimaxit touch screens as 4 - 5 or my physical left to right. When I choose a panel to be on Physical right (windows position 5) When I choose 5 in the drop down in Air Manager it opens the screen on the monitor on my physical left (Windows position 4)

RonVF

#5 Post by RonVF »

Ralph wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:58 am This usually happens with VGA monitors. Or is it all HDMI?
the 2 monitors in question are connected via HDMI thru the pluggable device which is connected to my PC via USB.

jph

#6 Post by jph »

RonVF wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:06 pm
Ralph wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:58 am This usually happens with VGA monitors. Or is it all HDMI?
the 2 monitors in question are connected via HDMI thru the pluggable device which is connected to my PC via USB.
Hi Ron,
please tell us what is the 'pluggable device' ?

Thanks
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Ralph

#7 Post by Ralph »

Hmm sounds like some kind of USB graphics card / splitter. Those things are always a bit dodgy.

jph

#8 Post by jph »

Ralph wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:19 pm Hmm sounds like some kind of USB graphics card / splitter. Those things are always a bit dodgy.
Agreed, I am really interested to know what type as I have not found a suitable unit yet.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

RonVF

#9 Post by RonVF »

jph wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:28 pm
RonVF wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:06 pm
Hi Ron,
please tell us what is the 'pluggable device' ?

Thanks
Joe
https://plugable.com/products/ud-3900 I learned about this from Russ Barlow's YouTube channel.

jph

#10 Post by jph »

Hi Ron, many thanks for that info and link.
I thought I was subscribed to Russ's channel but missed that, - I am definitely subscribed now.
I also now understand why you mention 'pluggable' several times as I did not realise it was a 'make'
If someone had told me about this unit on USB 3, I must confess that my first reaction would have been :( :? :roll:
BUT, it seems to do the job !.. and appears to be great for Air Manager allowing 3 monitors running from the basic Intel CPU embedded GPU. Quite amazing really.
Or - as demonstrated, as an expansion for 2 more monitors from a single GPU - such as a gtx 660 or 970 or whatever - any card with quad outputs.
Possibly, you could even run seven screens with a dedicated gpu - 4 from the dedicated gpu card, 1 from the integrated gpu on the processor and two from the 'pluggable' unit.
Fascinating.
Huge thanks for bringing this up as otherwise I would have dismissed it out of hand.
I think I will go and grab one of those pluggable units to play with.
Sorry I cant answer your question though.. The company seems to be responsive, so perhaps mail them (if it is an issue on their part) ?

Having a dedicated Air Manager computer with a reasonable add in gpu and this unit could give you - as said - at least six, if not seven screens. (I dont think I would run it on my triple monitor rig X-Plane as I need to keep the frame rate up) - but I happen to have far more PC's than I know what to do with ;) :shock:

Does anyone in the EU want to buy a GTX 970 ? I have 2 unused ones - or even a couple of older 660 units - again unused ? :D

or even a gigabyte unused / boxed RTX 2070 super ? .........................
I have a 'surplus' of GPU's at the moment.. :o

I might even have a 'spare' 2080ti...
Joe. CISSP, MSc.