Garmin G5 with Reality XP GNS 430W

Peer support for Air Manager desktop users

Moderators: russ, Ralph

chefpilot

Garmin G5 with Reality XP GNS 430W

#1 Post by chefpilot »

Hi,

I've two Garmin G5 (PFD ans HSI) in my Cockpit together with the GNS 430W from Reality XP. Everything is working fine except the bearing neddle for GPS at the G5 HSI.The needle is not showing to the selected GPS-position.
Does somebody has an idea to solve the problem?

V/R
Marc

uptimist

Re: Garmin G5 with Reality XP GNS 430W

#2 Post by uptimist »

I have same problem with GTN750 setup, I sent some suggestions to Ralph about what I thought was happening, he said he’d take a look, but obviously a busy chap :D

Ralph

#3 Post by Ralph »

We want to get 4.0 done first. Then I can focus on instruments again.
Reality XP doesn't update the regular dataref correctly, so it needs yet another work around.

uptimist

#4 Post by uptimist »

Ralph has fixed this now, I just tried it, and bearing pointer is working as it should with RXP. Thanks Ralph!

Ralph

#5 Post by Ralph »

I'm working on GPSS for X-Plane. But it's quite a lot of work to implement the GPSS annunciation, because it infects and is infected by other annunciations.

uptimist

#6 Post by uptimist »

I did think this was working - either I didn't check properly or something has changed (haven't sim'd for a while).

The GPS bearing pointer on the G5 is pointing directly at the GPS waypoint with no wind, but when there is any drift it is off by the amount of drift. It seems to somehow be putting in an (incorrect) drift correction. The position of the bearing pointer has (should have) nothing to do with aircraft heading.

The VOR bearing pointer is working fine.

So if you set up the G5 with both GPS and VOR pointers active, then put in a GPS waypoint at the same location as a VOR, with some crosswind, you see the GPS and VOR needle pointing apart from each other by the amount of the drift.

Which doesn't seem right to me!

I was fairly sure (not 100%) this was working OK 9 months ago, which if so would mean either something has changed in RXP, or Xplane or Air Manager. Or I'm misunderstanding how it should work!

Thanks

Ralph

#7 Post by Ralph »

Nothing has changed in our G5. But besides that, we're only showing the data from the simulator, there's no logic for this in the G5.

uptimist

#8 Post by uptimist »

Ralph I'm sure you're right that nothing has changed, I probably just didn't notice this before.

I've looked at the data viewer in Air Manager with a live flight - I think this is the problem:

To get the gps bearing pointer on the G5 I think you are reading sim/cockpit2/radios/gps_relative_bearing_deg

To get an absolute bearing to set the needle on the g5 dial you need to subtract that relative bearing from the current heading.

I am guessing what you have actually done is subtract it from the current track. That means it's incorrect by the amount of drift.

The VOR bearing pointer is good because you are getting an absolute bearing (nav1_bearing_deg_mag) which does not need any adjustment.

For example:

Current heading = 360
Current track = 010

gps_relative_bearing_deg = 120

Correct setting for gps needle pointer is 360 - 120 = 240

What it currently shows (incorrect) is 010 - 120 = 230

It would be great if you could update to fix - just subtract relative bearing from heading not track.

Many thanks!

Ralph

#9 Post by Ralph »

Which flight simulator are you using?

uptimist

#10 Post by uptimist »

Xplane-11