High RAM usage

Peer support for Air Manager desktop users

Moderators: russ, Ralph

JohnHarriss

High RAM usage

#1 Post by JohnHarriss »

Hello everybody,

Just found this fantastic program! Seems great except it's running really slow. 400mb with all the gauges hidden and then 550mb with them showing! Is this normal?
I'm running all the Baron 58 gauges, but it seems to happen as well when I use other aircraft.

Hope somebody can help me,
Thankyou!
John

Corjan

Re: High RAM usage

#2 Post by Corjan »

Hi John,

You are right, AM is using quite some RAM.

The main reason is the online tab. It kinda loads all the images for all the gauges into RAM when it boots up. That must take around 200 MB now (I know I last tested that at 120 MB when we had like 300 instruments). Combine that with the fact that a java program always grabs more memory then it actually needs, and you will get this high RAM usage.
We have plans to make the online tab more dynamic, where only the instruments that are shows are loaded into RAM.

For now though you could switch to a 32 bit version of the JRE (if you are not already using that), this should decrease RAM usages somewhat.

You also say the program is running slow, what do you mean with that exactly? The gauges should still feel smooth, despite the high RAM usage.

Corjan