Panel duplication problem

Peer support for Air Manager desktop users

Moderators: russ, Ralph

F8UPC

Panel duplication problem

#1 Post by F8UPC »

Hi,

I have an Air Manager panel with a lot of instruments (half of them are invisible for Arduino connections).

I would like to duplicate this panel to have few different versions, but when I do, I lose all the settings of the instruments :
- Arduino / Canal / Pin
- also settings like altitudes gradution indications on the airspeed, etc.
Only the sizes and positions of the counters are duplicated.

Just for the Arduino I have over 40 connections. It is a lot of time wasted.
How can I get an exact copy of my panel, with ALL the settings?

Another question, but somewhat the same: if I create a panel from the same panel in Creat/Edit, so that I can then export by security, how do I also keep these settings?

Thanks in advance for the reply
Carl

SimPassion

Re: Panel duplication problem

#2 Post by SimPassion »

Carl @F8UPC

for both questions, this is currently not possible

1 - Each panel once in the panel tab get its own copy of all instruments and we have to redo the settings if we loose wiring, or customization, or even after copying or recreating the whole panel from a premade panel with layout

2 - Panel in Panels tab or in Create/Edit tab are not handling the same instruments, just a copy of it when creating a Panel in Panels tab from a Panel custom/premade panel with layout already present in Create/Edit tab

at such point like if we make changes in the originals names or info in the Create/Edit tab, we have to go again in the Panels tab, delete the Panel created previously from the Panel layout and redo the settings

That's how it goes

Not sure I'm very clear as always and as some always said nicely, but I'm not able to explain better
Though hope it help at least just a bit enough to understand what's occurring

Gilles

F8UPC

#3 Post by F8UPC »

Thank you @Gilles, I understand the answer :-)
It seems that AM was rather made for simple panels, with some instruments. So in this case, redoing it is not a problem too.
But he is a victim of his success!
Mine contains 33 instruments and 114 parameters which are not saved (I have just counted!) for which I have to click (eg Arduino) or enter a value (eg Airspeed).
It is a huge job.
No software publisher would offer a product in which copying or backing up forgets the data.
Imagine an Excel spreadsheet where we keep the calculation formulas but not the datas :-)
AM is a great product!
So I hope it will evolve to be even more professional and allow making complete copies and backups.

Sling

#4 Post by Sling »

This is not entirely accurate. If you create the panel in create/edit and then create a new panel from that it will retain the settings of the user properties. I’m not so sure what it does with named hardware as i haven’t checked that specifically. If it didn’t save those it would most likely be by design because they are intended to be configurable by the user. If you are using named hardware I would recommended you convert to fixed hardware id’s and this issue will go.

I think the clone of another panel operation is by design. When you clone it will give you a clean clone. Meaning all the user properties are set to their developer intended defaults. I guess an improvement would be to offer an option to do a verbatim clone.

At least I think that is the theory behind it.

Tony

F8UPC

#5 Post by F8UPC »

Hi Tony,
Thanks for answer.
I'll see with named hardware because I din't use it until today.
Simple complete duplication in Panels could be fine...
Carl