Basic Understanding Needed!

Peer support for Air Manager desktop users

Moderators: russ, Ralph

LZScout

Basic Understanding Needed!

#1 Post by LZScout »

I couldn’t feel more lost than if I was dumped into a 3rd year calculus class. I feel I need to find an explanation of the basics if I’m to get any value out of Air Manager.

What I’ve been able to learn so for is how to import gauges, resize them, and build a panel. I’m trying to concentrate in making the panels work for 2 FSX aircraft, the A2A C172, and the Alabeo C404. I have downloaded the pre-made panel for the A2a C172 and I’ve put the C404 panel together with individual gauges.

Most, if not all of the downloadable gauges come with grey instrument panel backgrounds. Due to my simulator setup, I find this a bit bright and prefer a dark grey to black. I’ve been working with Skinman to learn how to change the background color and have been successful with the “panel filler”. I’m assuming that changing the panel color of an existing gauge requires creating a whole new gauge background. I’ve seen the Skinman video on how to make a gauge, but I need to find a source on how to learn Skinman, as I have no background in working with graphics programs.

As to how to make a gauge function, I’m at a bit of a loss. I noticed that the left tank reading of the fuel guage in the A2A C172 has been reading incorrectly during my flights. I’ve been through all of the WIKI Air Manager tutorials and have specifically examined the lua coding of the C172 fuel gauge. I know A2A uses LVARS in their products and perhaps that is the issue (although the gauge author say this gauge is for the A2A C172). Again, I really don’t understand lua coding. I need a basic step by step explanation on writing lua code for gauges. There were many parts of the C172 gauge lua that I didn’t understand.

Where do you start?

russ

Re: Basic Understanding Needed!

#2 Post by russ »

Unfortunately you have to walk before you run. It sound like you have already accomplished lots that many struggle to get get done. Proper installation, ability to run existing panels, and being able to combine instruments into new panel layouts. Well done! Let's address the graphics issues first.

As for changing the panel color, that can be done in a couple ways.

1- Of course if you have the original Skinman files it is as easy as changing the color of the background layer to the new color. Otherwise you will have to redo the graphics for the entire instrument... a big task.

2- You can edit the graphics in the resources folder to change the brightness or hue and saturation. Sounds like a simple darkening of the background part of the omage is needed.

Here's an example.

The BEFORE background graphic for the C172 Airspeed from the store
before.png
I used Paint.Net freeware since that is my graphics editor of choice but you can accomplish this with Photoshop too I think.
I added a transparent layer on top pf the graphic. Made a rough selection circle just inside the bezel outer edge.
I then resized and positioned it accirately about a pizel or two inside that edge,
I inverted the selection so I have only yje part needing to be darkened.
I then select the background layer and select menu Adjustments-> brightness/contrast and make it look as dark as I want. I can tweak the contrast if needed too,
Make note of the numerical values of the changes you made for future instruments in the set so they are consistent in appearance.

NOTE: work on copies and not the originals in case you mess up.

Here is the AFTER graphic
after.png
I did this in less than 5 minutes and it isn't perfect but may be good enough for most applications.

If there is text on the surfaces, you may need to fill the areas in with the solid color and redo the text. I find it is best to redo text in a transparent layer above to get it correctly sized and aligned before erasing the original text and flatening the new text to the background layer. If there is a shadow on part of the text it more difficult and may be easier to adjust contrast to try to correct things.

This won't always work but it usually will.

As for scripting it is too complicated to include in this same posting but could you tell me what programming experience you have, if any?

Thanks
Russ Barlow
Air Manager Evangelist

russ

#3 Post by russ »

Now for the LVars question. To get you started, here is a link to a PDF list of the A2A C172 Lvars

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k7a6j0y23v29j ... t.pdf?dl=0

I did see the fuel quantity gauges have associated Lvars.

Take a look at the logic.lua code in the instrument you want to use and see if it is already using the correct Lvars ( always start with L: ) or the standard FSX variables.

Thre is a data viewer that will also allow you to see the Lvars for a airplane and it is explained in the most recent newsletter: See article New Lvars Tools in 2.1.2

http://eepurl.com/b7Pqk9

Get started and see if any of this helps.
Russ Barlow
Air Manager Evangelist

russ

#4 Post by russ »

russ wrote:Unfortunately you have to walk before you run. It sounds like you have already accomplished lots that many struggle to get get done. Proper installation, ability to run existing panels, and being able to combine instruments into new panel layouts. Well done! Let's address the graphics issues first.

As for changing the panel color, that can be done in a couple ways.

1- Of course if you have the original Skinman files it is as easy as changing the color of the background layer to the new color. Otherwise you will have to redo the graphics for the entire instrument... a big task.

2- You can edit the graphics in the resources folder to change the brightness or hue and saturation. Sounds like a simple darkening of the background part of the image is needed.

Here's an example.

The BEFORE background graphic for the C172 Airspeed from the store
before.png
I used Paint.Net freeware since that is my graphics editor of choice but you can accomplish this with Photoshop too I think.
I added a transparent layer on top pf the graphic. Made a rough selection circle just inside the bezel outer edge.
I then resized and positioned it accurately about a pixel or two inside that edge,
I inverted the selection so I have only the part needing to be darkened.
I then select the background layer and select menu Adjustments-> brightness/contrast and make it look as dark as I want. I can tweak the contrast if needed too,
Make note of the numerical values of the changes you made for future instruments in the set so they are consistent in appearance.

NOTE: work on copies and not the originals in case you mess up.

Here is the AFTER graphic
after.png
I did this in less than 5 minutes and it isn't perfect but may be good enough for most applications.

If there is text on the surfaces, you may need to fill the areas in with the solid color and redo the text. I find it is best to redo text in a transparent layer above to get it correctly sized and aligned before erasing the original text and flatening the new text to the background layer. If there is a shadow on part of the text it more difficult and may be easier to adjust contrast to try to correct things.

This won't always work but it usually will.

As for scripting it is too complicated to include in this same posting but could you tell me what programming experience you have, if any?

Thanks
Russ Barlow
Air Manager Evangelist

LZScout

#5 Post by LZScout »

Thank you for giving me something to go on. I'm still unschooled on graphic programs. I will take a look at Paint.net freeware and see if I can learn how to use it. Thanks for the tip on LVARs.

russ

#6 Post by russ »

I am proof that anyone can learn this. It is a challenge since you need to learn the graphics and programming. Just be patient and take on modifying the graphics first.

You can download paint.net here: http://www.getpaint.net/download.html

Basic tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZoWz_owZX0

here is the first of another multi part video tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzQF61NPvNA

Good Luck!
Russ Barlow
Air Manager Evangelist

LZScout

#7 Post by LZScout »

So far Russ, I've made good progress in changing the panel color using the technique you suggested using paint.net. The only part I didn't do is add a transparent layer. What was the purpose of doing this?

russ

#8 Post by russ »

It just allows you to place the selection circle and resize and move it without affecting the existing image. Once you have it perfect then by selecting the existing image layer you have it just right and you can apply your changes (eg. darkening). If you are eagle eyed and steady handed it isn't necessary to use it as I discard that clear layer or flatten it into the original image when saving the modified image as a .PNG file for use in Air Manager

ALSO: When I am trying to position dials, needles and other parts that will be placed as separate images over a background image I often create a transparent layer too to position the overlaying images. just paste the image into a transparent layer, drag the image of the part to the correct place, and you can read the location x,y and the image size as they are shown at the bottom of the window, The text says 'Selection top left;" which is an error it is actually left, top (same order as the x, y in our Logic functions. It also shows "Bounding rectangle size;" which is width, height or the same order as in the script functions.

(click image to enlarge)
TRANSPARENT.PNG
So in the image above the blue represents the background image and the red is a dial or part copied from the source image and pasted into a transparent layer on top. Once your precisely re-position and resize it using the pointer tool, you can copy the coordinates directly from the window to use in your script. There is a plugin available for Paint.net that will copy the coordinates complete with the separating commas to paste into your script. You can find it at a previous post viewtopic.php?f=16&t=144&p=967&hilit=paint.net#p967

After using the transparent layer to arrange things you can just close the background image without saving to revert it to it's original state.
Russ Barlow
Air Manager Evangelist