Trying to decide which way to go. Ipad or Windows

Latest Information on Sim Innovation's flagship product Air Manager

Moderators: russ, Ralph

jonfly

Trying to decide which way to go. Ipad or Windows

#1 Post by jonfly »

Thank you Russ Barlow for your informative videos on YouTube regarding Air Manager. I purchased Air Manager for my iPad last night and I am really enjoying it. I will be showcasing that on my twitch stream tonight or this weekend.
I have almost 9000 followers on Twitch and live stream 3-4 times a week and have a great X-plane audience. I also have a youtube channel. Twitch.tv/jonfly and youtube.com/jonflytv
Two questions, Can I use Duet Display and have the GNS530 pop out onto my Ipad and utilize the IOS version of Air Manager? Also can I please get a copy of the 3.0 beta for Windows? I would love to spread the word regarding this wonderful set of products.

I really want to get the GNS530 going on a touchscreen. I was tempted to do a hardware project for it but AM seems the better way to go.

Thanks!
JonFly

jonfly

Re: Trying to decide which way to go. Ipad or Windows

#2 Post by jonfly »

Apoligies for not posting in the correct forum thread

russ

Re: Trying to decide which way to go. Ipad or Windows

#3 Post by russ »

The duet display solution allows you only to use your iPad as a external monitor to display the XP11 G530 pop out window. You can overlay the bezel from Air Manager 2.1.3 to add touch input. Right now the iPad version of AMcannot be used to overlay the bezel and show the screen at the same time.

As for a hadware G530 AM user Chuck K and I have already undertaken such a project. We have found a perfect 5" 4:3 aspect ratio LCD screen and 3D printed all the bezel, button parts, and a bracket to hold the video card and a single Arduino Mega2560 which runs it all. The screen displays the screen of the G530 from XP11 and the hardware can talk to the sim via either Air Manager 3.0 , or ArdSimX. It can also be built with a Leo Bodnar or Desktop Aviator USB HID board. For AM users using version AM 3.0's Arduino support makes sense. It works great and you can run the script from your desktop AM 3.0 using USB to communicate to the Arduino. ArdSimX is free and works fine too for non AM users using our same unmodified Hardware configuration.

We are considering doing a kickstarter and if there is enough interest offering build kits containing the 3D printing files, printed circuit boards, and difficult to source other parts( LCD screen, dual rotary encoders, buttons) , and a step by step online video build tutorial. You would only have to add some wires and solder. If we get a decent response we could purchase the parts in a larger quantity and get a better price too. We priced the 3D printing service for the printed parts and it was only about $30, The Arduino Mega2560 would not be included since many may already own one, they are cheap( $10-15), and some may want to use a Leo Bodnar HID board that requires no plugin and can be programmed in the simulater hardware setup. We would offer mounting brackets for various configurations.

I will try to post a video of a prototype but please remember that the final version will have a much prettier appearance. We are also adding volume controls and on/off to our latest prototype which I have no video of yet.

Depending on the response the kit price would be between $200-300 and it might take another $50 to complete the build. It is probably an afternoon project for most builders.

Feel free to share the video and see if your twitch users thing it might be worth it for us to pursue. We started this for our personal use but it works so well we thought we should share it.

ps. I know the OBS label is missing. This was our initial prototype and it is running on Air Manager in this video.

Russ Barlow
Air Manager Evangelist