Migrating from FSX to P3D

Latest Information on Sim Innovation's flagship product Air Manager

Moderators: russ, Ralph

monkeysuncle

Migrating from FSX to P3D

#1 Post by monkeysuncle »

Hey, forum! Just a quick question. I'm thinking about migrating from FSX to Prepar3D. Are there any gotchas or caveats that I need to know about relating to Air Manager before I pull the trigger? Should it go pretty seamlessly? ;)

thanks!

Dave

Ralph

Re: Migrating from FSX to P3D

#2 Post by Ralph »

They're practically the same, so yes. But now FS2020 is there, Prepar3D will probably slowly die. At least for the consumer market, I suppose they'll continue for the professional (military) market.

monkeysuncle

#3 Post by monkeysuncle »

Thanks, Ralph!
I don't think I'll be moving over to MSFS 2020 anytime soon. I need the multiple windows that it just doesn't support yet, and my system is only mid-high range, so not really powerful enough to run 2020. I'm looking to migrate to P3D mainly to improve memory usage, and hopefully improve my scenery a little.

Dave

Ralph

#4 Post by Ralph »

Then Prepar3D should be sufficient. The lack of multi monitor setup possibilities in FS2020 can indeed be a show stopper for cockpit builders.

jph

#5 Post by jph »

Hi, I am not aware of any true multi monitor support in P3D ? - or indeed - FSX - only a simple flat display span ? with a total lack or perspective correction and alignment. If I am wrong, please can you advise where the information is regarding this ? . A simple flat span multi monitor can be used on virtually anything that supports custom resolutions. It is simply a matter of using either windows display settings for span, or if the gpu driver supports it - using that - such as NV Surround which - please note - in no way supports perspective correction.
Perhaps you should consider X-Plane as it has REAL perspective corrected multi monitor support - as far as I am aware - the ONLY main stream sim to support this. ?
Of course, if one of the other sims offers the same I will change my view on this.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

monkeysuncle

#6 Post by monkeysuncle »

jph wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:39 am Hi, I am not aware of any true multi monitor support in P3D ? - or indeed - FSX - only a simple flat display span ? with a total lack or perspective correction and alignment. If I am wrong, please can you advise where the information is regarding this ? . A simple flat span multi monitor can be used on virtually anything that supports custom resolutions. It is simply a matter of using either windows display settings for span, or if the gpu driver supports it - using that - such as NV Surround which - please note - in no way supports perspective correction.
Perhaps you should consider X-Plane as it has REAL perspective corrected multi monitor support - as far as I am aware - the ONLY main stream sim to support this. ?
Of course, if one of the other sims offers the same I will change my view on this.
Hello, If you are in windowed mode, you can make new camera views and undock them. I use OpusFSI to create my multiple views (front, left and right windows), because the camera editing GUI they have allows for more precise editing. It can be VERY fussy to get set up, so don't freakout, just follow the docs, and they are very helpful if you have questions. Once you have a set of cameras that you like, it's simple to use. You'll be in windowed mode, and you'll have to undock and reposition the windows for every flight. It also has buttkicker support, which is great. http://www.opussoftware.co.uk/opusfsi/o ... camera.htm

monkeysuncle

#7 Post by monkeysuncle »

Ralph wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:31 pm Then Prepar3D should be sufficient. The lack of multi monitor setup possibilities in FS2020 can indeed be a show stopper for cockpit builders.
Hi, Ralph, a quick followup question: Do I need to reinstall Air Manager after P3D is installed, or will the current installation recognize the new Sim and connect automagically?
thanks, Dave

Ralph

#8 Post by Ralph »

jph

#9 Post by jph »

monkeysuncle wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:12 pm
jph wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:39 am Hi, I am not aware of any true multi monitor support in P3D ? - or indeed - FSX - only a simple flat display span ? with a total lack or perspective correction and alignment. If I am wrong, please can you advise where the information is regarding this ? . A simple flat span multi monitor can be used on virtually anything that supports custom resolutions. It is simply a matter of using either windows display settings for span, or if the gpu driver supports it - using that - such as NV Surround which - please note - in no way supports perspective correction.
Hello, If you are in windowed mode, you can make new camera views and undock them. I use OpusFSI to create my multiple views (front, left and right windows), because the camera editing GUI they have allows for more precise editing. It can be VERY fussy to get set up, so don't freakout, just follow the docs, and they are very helpful if you have questions. Once you have a set of cameras that you like, it's simple to use. You'll be in windowed mode, and you'll have to undock and reposition the windows for every flight. It also has buttkicker support, which is great. http://www.opussoftware.co.uk/opusfsi/o ... camera.htm
Hi
Unless you have multiple networked PC's then I still don't see any option for perspective correction when used in an angled display environment. Even networked, it is unclear as to how much flexibility there is in this. (TLDR ;) )
My replies are all referring to using multiple displays in a cockpit environment where the monitors would be angled 'around' the pilot.
This feature has been available on networked pc's for over 20 years with FSX - then also P3D, and FS2020 (using multiple networked PC's) with 'wideview' from Luciano Napolitano. Luciano Napolitano I ran this with - I think - FS98 ! with 3 PC's. it is developed into an amazing product. It allows complete perspective correction.
https://www.wideview.it/wideview.htm.
I would still use X-Plane though as the very best as it offers all the features built in for wither single PC multi display use with true perspective correction, also networked PCs. X-Plane also -imho - a far more detailed simulator and certainly offers by far the most features for interfacing. The link you providing is an interesting program though and one I was not aware of.
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

monkeysuncle

#10 Post by monkeysuncle »

Ralph wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:36 pm You need to install the plugin:
http://siminnovations.com/wiki/index.ph ... stallation
Thanks, Ralph!