Uno not recognized

Latest Information on Sim Innovation's flagship product Air Manager

Moderators: russ, Ralph

JohnF

Uno not recognized

#1 Post by JohnF »

Plugging Uno into serial lead and Air Manager does not see it unless I re-flash the UNO. Plugging Mega or Micro in and they are recognized OK, But Uno I have to re-flash every time I come out and back into Airmanager 4.0.1. This is not good as I have to write code which means disconnecting or unloading air manager. :x

JohnF

Re: Uno not recognized

#2 Post by JohnF »

OK An original UNO works OK, it would seem to be the clones that are not working.

JohnF

#3 Post by JohnF »

:oops: It would appear I forgot the message port tick in the loop, not sure why that would stop boards being recognized in home screen. However adding this seems to have cured the problem. :oops:

jph

#4 Post by jph »

Hi John,
Glad you got it sorted.
This is not aimed at you, it is a general post to all the 'clone' 'genuine' 'copy' etc other posters. Any use of the terms above is almost certainly totally misleading and in most cases incorrect.
there is a difference between 'seeing' a board - for example - on a com port, or indeed, in AM..... and a 'board not working'
It is absolutely nothing to do with 'clones' as they do not, in reality - exist. It is OPEN SOURCE HARDWARE !!!
What you sometimes have is the board you buy uses a generic USB Serial converter, such as the absolutely superb CH340 series. Whatever the board shows as 'in device manager' is nothing to do with what AM sees.
In the flash side of AM for use as a standard add on board - there is absolutely no difference ! - flash the image for the appropriate board that you have - all is superb.
IF you chose to use MP, then you need to provide an appropriate tick. The board will always be seen.
This 'clone' stuff is rather annoying - to say the least ;) - it is being perpetuated by some posts here.
I would FAR FAR rather have a Chinese made board from a supplier such as GeekCreit etc, than any old MASSIVELY overpriced board supplied from the 'trademarked' Arduino 'store' - if someone choses to spend (waste ?) their money on the 'store' or from a retailer of 'trademarked items' then they are paying through the nose for a product that is not ''original' or 'genuine apart from pure marketing and trademark' AND people need to understand that the 'trademark' ONLY !! applies to certain aspects of the 'name' advertised and the board 'graphic overlay' - NADA - absolutely nothing - absolutely feck all ! - at all to do with the hardware quality, board layout, components use or even quality of components or production. ' IF you buy from Arduino CC Store etc, you are simply being ripped off in almost all cases. You in absolutely no way get a 'better' product. or a 'genuine' product as such a thing does not exist. (apart from pure marketing terms for name and board logo) . In many ways, the stuff that is peddled on the Arduino 'store' with a trademark can often be of inferior quality compared to other offerings.
The board design is OPEN SOURCE !.
[/Rant off]
:mrgreen: :lol: :lol:
I really wish people would understand that.
tum te tum... ;)
Joe. CISSP, MSc.