Beta blocked by BitDefender

Latest Information on Sim Innovation's flagship product Air Manager

Moderators: russ, Ralph

bartroozendaal

Beta blocked by BitDefender

#1 Post by bartroozendaal »

Hi,

I just tried to install the beta, to find it blocked by BitDefender, reporting a virus in the app.

Anyone had that too?
image.png
Bart Roozendaal
https://fsarduino.com

WillemijnL

Re: Beta blocked by BitDefender

#2 Post by WillemijnL »

I have the same problem after the last release of Bitdefender some days ago.

When bootloader.exe is in quarantaine or completely removed, I still can start Air Manager Beta bij starting airmanager.exe. Updates are not checked automatically anymore, because that is done by bootloader.exe (as Corjan has told me some time ago).

Corjan

#3 Post by Corjan »

Hi,

Not sure if this is a false positive or not. Just scanned my computer at home, will do the same next week at the office.

Corjan

Ralph

#4 Post by Ralph »

Virustotal thinks that it is fine: https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/6d1 ... /detection
I'm expecting a false positive.

Corjan

#5 Post by Corjan »

It is the bootloader.exe giving issues, not the setup file.

Corjan

Ralph

#6 Post by Ralph »

Ah Just saw it now, it's all a bit small and fuzzy on my phone.

jph

#7 Post by jph »

Seems to be a false positive totally heuristic detection only. The 'major' (quality) AV products do not have an issue.
Even the supposedly 'advanced' version of Bitdefender - the machine learning Bitdefender Theta does not have an issue - google Bitdefender Theta (used with VirusTotal) - whereas, the lesser version - of the supposedly less sophisticated basic Bitdefender does ?? huh ? . Hmmmm.... again this can be seen on the virus total results. Check again the VirusTotal Bitdefender results and look further down for the BD Theta - no issues !..
Check out - https://blog.virustotal.com/2019/10/vir ... theta.html
If the major respected AV products such as Trend Micro and Sophos do not have an issue, then I am happy.
Of the few AV products that false flag it, only a couple are actually really ever heard of. Even McAfee - yikes - is a totally heuristic detection.. I also wouldn't trust McAfee as far as anyone would trust John McAfee - Fraud, tax evasion etc etc.. I would not have any of his stuff anywhere near my computer.. It is nearly as bad as ANYTHING by Norton !!! and that is saying something.
Heuristic scanning is a great idea, however, many of the totally 'unknown' AV products are simply trying to pick something up that doesn't exist.
Flag it as no issue and ignore it.
From Bitdefender site -
Virus Scanning and Malware Removal
Powerful scan engines ensure real-time detection and removal of all malware, from viruses, worms and Trojans, to ransomware, zero-day exploits, rootkits and spyware.
Also, ANY product that says it can detect ZDE is a huge red flag. This is simply and absolutely not true. ZDE (More commonly known as ZDV) are 99.9% of the time NEVER picked up by any of these packages - that is why it is a ZDV. Checkout Stuxnet as one example. Anyway..... ;)
Joe. CISSP, MSc.