Steku

Transponder with AM 4.0 and MFS2020?

#1 Post by Steku »

I attempted to adapt Garmin GTX 328 transponder to work with MFS2020:

Code: Select all

fs2020_variable_subscribe("TRANSPONDER CODE:1", "Enum", 
                          "PRESSURE ALTITUDE", "Feet",
                          "LIGHT PANEL", "Bool",
                          "ELECTRICAL MAIN BUS VOLTAGE", "Volts", new_transponder_fsx)
The numbers buttons an "VFR" buttons are working, however I can't find a way for other buttons to work like: Off, Stby, On, Alt. I would appreciate any hint whether it's possible at all with MFS2020.
I can operate the transpoder in the sim.

Sling

Re: Transponder with AM 4.0 and MFS2020?

#2 Post by Sling »

It’s only possible if the sim provides a means to do it. It would need a mode variable and a corresponding means to alter the modes. I don’t think FSX has this and I therefore suspect FS2020 won’t either. I’ve said this a few times on the forum previously and I’ll repeat it here. If you want to build serious instruments for a serious sim right now there is only one sim that gets close and that’s Xplane. All the others lack a massive amount of systems support.

Sorry if that’s not what you wanted to hear.

Tony

Steku

#3 Post by Steku »

In fact I expected such answer, with it I just know that I should not rather waste my time trying to adapt the transponder to work properly with MFS2020.
It's a pity, because the transponder within MFS2020 is properly changing it's modes when the on screen knob in MFS2020 is being turned, but havinh AM and the Knobster, I no longer touch my mouse when flying.

Maybe I just should consider implementing transponder mode displays in the AM intrument itself, without actually communicating these modes to the sim. Unfortunattely I'm not yet so skilled in AM instrument programming.

I'm real world pilot, so I would like to have properly functioning transponder on my panel, to avoid deveolping bad habit of neglecting the transponder settings.

Sling

#4 Post by Sling »

Perhaps that is the best approach with the hope that FS2020 can catch up and add better systems support. If it does you could always add the sim control in at a later date.

Steku

#5 Post by Steku »

Couple hours of playing with the existing transponder code and I have the transponder in MFS2020 at least pretending it reacts to mode change buttons. I even managed to implement a stopwatch. Wasn't so hard, even for me who last coded in Fortran and Pascal in the nineties ;)