Air Manager 3.7

Latest Information on Sim Innovation's flagship product Air Manager

Moderators: russ, Ralph

SimPassion

Re: Air Manager 3.7

#51 Post by SimPassion »

Sling wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:49 am @SimPassion How do you propose to write, test and debug the message port code without the Arduino IDE.
Write : using already Notepad++ as previously without any change
test and debug : as said using batch process inside AM UI, at least the already present AM Console would also be useful for it
I'm sure @Corjan would understand what I'm mean
As an example with cmake or using vc/bc and link.exe we can build some batch to compile and do the linkage on OBJ files remotely without exiting the IDE of modern development tools, nothing so simple
I don't see any complication ???

Gilles

Sling

#52 Post by Sling »

I’m not sure I like it sorry. AM is trying to move away from having to use an external editor and if you are going to use an external editor you might as well just use the Arduino IDE. Also the console would need to be in the devices tab if all the flashing is to be kept together.

For me it’s not a question of it being possible but more of suitability and usability.

Just my 2 cents

Corjan

#53 Post by Corjan »

Hi,

The Arduino IDE provides more features then only building and debugging.
It also has a bunch of examples, the ability to add additional Arduino libraries, and keep them up to date.

Also, the idea behind the message port is that you can use AM inside of the Arduino environment. For that reason alone so it would make little sense for AM to try to replicate that environment.

Corjan

SimPassion

#54 Post by SimPassion »

Two points for two answers :

I will never forget to use an external editor in anyway
I only use Arduino IDE for SI Message Port compilation and not any other project outside this
Currently working on finding a solution to avoid blinking using the 74HC595D MicroDrivers boards
restarted coding yesterday around SI_Message_Port
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1235

Gilles

Sling

#55 Post by Sling »

Gilles that is your personal way of working but everyone is not the same. Since the introduction of the AM editor I mostly use it for my work. Granted it still needs some fixing and some new features particularly find/replace but having it integrated in AM I find for most tasks the benefits beat the flaws. Again this is just the preference for my work flow. The same can probably be said for others preferences including their use of the Arduino IDE.

The point being that not everyone works in the same way and with the same tools so what one wants another does not. It’s just the way things are.

SimPassion

#56 Post by SimPassion »

It's right, just another POV between all of us
just not to miss ergonomy in any way before any POV though
and adding ergonomy to our workflow is the best we can get

Gilles

JackZ

#57 Post by JackZ »

If I may, I would rather have existing things fixed/improved than adding new non essential features.

The current editor is still flawed in some aspects, and the overall ergonomics of the whole interface has still to be upgraded to be consistent/easier to use.

As I’ve already said here many times:
Never forget that you are dealing with 3 types of customers: beginners, casual users, and hardcore users. None of these categories should be left behind IMHO, and the first two are probably the bigger ones in terms of members.

Once again the launch of a customer’s survey would probably be a good idea.

Jacques
Last edited by JackZ on Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
My YouTube Chanel on the A320 (Real SOPs by an Airline Pilot IRL):
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 0Q6SBASRqJ

Sling

#58 Post by Sling »

Good points Jacques. I think we all agree that fixing what we currently have and keeping it fixed has to take priority over new features. It does not however stop us from discussing potential new features or at least requests for such things.

Small point guys. AFAIK Ergonomy is not a word in the English language but i am by no means an expert. The word you are after is Ergonomic or the plural Ergonomics.

SimPassion

#59 Post by SimPassion »

Thanks to point this out
so we take it as "Ergonomics design" which stay as singular in French
and google traduction still take it as singular in any case

Gilles

image.png
image.png

JackZ

#60 Post by JackZ »