Research using Air Manager

Latest Information on Sim Innovation's flagship product Air Manager

Moderators: russ, Ralph

frumpy

Research using Air Manager

#1 Post by frumpy »

Hi guys,

I am doing my Masters thesis on a human-factors issue which is playing a role in spatial awareness in aircraft.

The little triangle which shows the bank angle in an ADI is the so called skypointer. There are three types
of skypointers in western aircraft today: General aviation, commercial and military. The issue with commercial
ADIs is, that the skypointer is opposite to the turn direction: In a right turn, the pointer goes to the left.
General aviation ADIs are different, the pointer is fixed to the up position, while the roll scale moves. This
way the pointer is left in a left turn. This principle is called control-display-compatibility, as the position
of the pointer fits better into the mental model of the pilot. Same goes for military horizons, but there the
skypointer points downward as an earthpointer.
This stuff is measured by the rate of roll-reversal errors, meaning the initial direction of an input in order
to roll level is in the wrong direction. Research has consistently shown that roll reversals in western horizons (opposite
to the russian horizons) are much more likely - about 8% compared to 2% with experienced pilots. One
study of experienced pilots found the same, varying just the skypointers. However, the reaction to the
input may be overlearned by their daily jobs (working with western horizons) and research suggests trat
effects are even stronger with novice pilots.
So what I am checking now is the influence of skypointer positions on novice pilots. I expect to have the
results by August, so stay tuned! :)
Attachments
Military
Military
GA
GA
Commercial
Commercial
Last edited by frumpy on Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

russ

Re: Research using Air Manager

#2 Post by russ »

Interesting. Having spent career flying everything from general aviation to military fighter jets and on to a long career as an airline pilot I have noticed the different types of attitude indicators. Actually while I was doing the flying I never really noticed there was a different system and different types of airplanes. I guess was too busy learning other stuff. After decades in airliners I most recently noticed the difference when building instruments with Air Manager. At first I thought Ralph had made a GA attitude Indcator wrong!

I think the design was largely driven by simplicity for the general aviation version. It is easy to affix the sky pointer to the same frame that supports the airplane symbol and let the Gyro rotate behind all that stuff The commercial version is a bit more complicated because this sky pointer has to rotate with with the Gyro. In my opinion, that is the most intuitive of the possibilities because it is always pointing up towards the Sky.

In Airline training for upsets (unusual attitudes) it was very nice to know that if you were inverted turning the shortest way towards the sky pointer would get you right side up most quickly. "Turn toward the sky pointer" was the mantra.

In the USAF I flew F4 Phantoms that had the bank indicator as you mentioned but it did have a sky pointer too. Two sky pointers...nice... Pick one. That ndictor had the heading Gyro built in too so the ball rotated in all directions. That must have cost a fortune. (F4 Phantom ll ADI below)
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (22.1 KiB) Viewed 2776 times
Today, with LCD displays, there is no mechanical or economical advantage with one system over the others as in the past when you had to build the hardware.

Please keep us updated. I think basic flying is quite easy with any of the three. Unusual attitude recovery will be a challenge where reversals will occur at the most critical time. It is defnately a challenge for new pilots or pilots like me who had recently transitioned and didn't even realize the difference was there.
Russ Barlow
Air Manager Evangelist

frumpy

#3 Post by frumpy »

russ wrote: Tue May 17, 2016 12:47 pm In my opinion, that is the most intuitive of the possibilities because it is always pointing up towards the Sky.

In Airline training for upsets (unusual attitudes) it was very nice to know that if you were inverted turning the shortest way towards the sky pointer would get you right side up most quickly. "Turn toward the sky pointer" was the mantra.
Yes, that's the point: It very much depends on your mental model. It can be "turn towards the pointer" with the commercial horizons and will turn
out good results. It can also be "take the pointer and move it to where you want", like in general aviation horizons. Or a "turn towards blue", which
will work for both horizons. I asked the participants of my study for their mental model, they had to figure it out by themselves - but I did not
compare the results yet, nor did I wrote on my masters thesis as I had planned. Too busy with myself and my job :oops:

Anyway, checking for roll reversals, the results seems to be pretty clear: Commercial ones had a roll-reversal-rate of 21%, military 24%, GA 13%.
Since n is above 450 for each horizon, that should be significant. Didn't check, though. GA also had lowest reaction time. GA is the only
horizon, where the plane symbol and the rollpointer move together. I think this grouping is responsible for the effect that I see here.

If I finish my masters thesis within the next 10 years, I'll let you know about my findings.

frumpy

#4 Post by frumpy »

Hey guys, I can't believe it would take over 1,5 years to present the results.^^

GA: General Aviation horizon
COM: Commercial type horizon
MIL: Military type horizon

It short words: General aviation is best. Both military and commercial horizons produce more roll-reversals
in 24 novice participants. GA is 10%, COM and MIL at 19%. Reaction time is lowest with GA horizon,
tendentialy lower than MIL.
Reaction time increases with angles at and above 90° bank at COM and MIL, but not GA.

Explanation for good GA results:
The aircraft symbol and rollindex form a figure, which is then related to the horizon. From knowing
this relation, a proper action can be started. COM and MIL do not form this figure, or people use
other techniques (like brown/blue position "turn towards the blue"). Either way, when trying to
match rollindex and the 0° arrow on the rollscale, people have to search for the rollindex or might
be confused about it's movement - this all takes time.

When forming a figure between aircraft symbol and rollindex, the human brain can make this
figure mentally moveable, which makes it spatially compatible with yoke movement.
You turn yoke to the right = horizon rolls left, the figure "moves" to the right. Then you can
simply "grab" it with the yoke, like it's a real thing.

The fun thing is: russian style horizons (which proved better in roll reversals several times)
in outside-in convention (you see the plane from the outside and move it) use the same
mental processes, but simpler, which makes then faster.
So with the GA in a way we humans make incompatible designs compatible by tricks :)
Attachments
Roll-Reversals and Reaction Time
Roll-Reversals and Reaction Time
Russian outside-in vs. western inside-out horizon
Russian outside-in vs. western inside-out horizon