Cessna 172 GPS 530

Latest Information on Sim Innovation's flagship product Air Manager

Moderators: russ, Ralph

coastalguy

Cessna 172 GPS 530

#1 Post by coastalguy »

I was just reading that the Cessna 172 GPS was to be added as an instrument around the latter part of 2020 or early 2021. I just purchased a 2nd copy of Air Manager and do not yet see this instrument. I know it can be added as a window from x-plane, however doing it this way, I found that when the panel is moved to a second monitor, it mostly becomes active, leaving the gps from the x-plane app inactive, where I am unable to adjust anything on the gps. The only way I found to make the gps active again, is to delete it and reinstate it from the x-plane app, after which the panel becomes active again. Very frustrating when trying to make changes to the gps.

Ralph

Re: Cessna 172 GPS 530

#2 Post by Ralph »

I don't have much of a clue about what you're trying to say. But maybe this helps?

coastalguy

#3 Post by coastalguy »

Ralph,
Thanks for the info. Sorry I wasn't very clear. What my problem is, is that once I drag the GPS onto another screen, alongside my Air Manager panel, is that the Air Manager panel continues to become the active window. Then when it becomes active, the GPS window becomes inactive, meaning that nothing I click on with the mouse, on the GPS, now works. When I try to drag either window, only the Air Manager panel moves, even though my mouse cursor is placed on the top of the gps window.

Nothing, shy of deleting the GPS window and re-transferring it again from the x-plane main monitor re-activates it to where I can again make changes on it. I have tried setting it to the top, setting the Air Manager panel to the top, along with locking each in turn, and nothing will activate the GPS window.

Not sure if any of your video, changing the GPS FMS file to another to remove the border will fix this problem, but maybe there is another setting in this new file that would??? If so, I haven't a clue what it would be.

Sling

#4 Post by Sling »

I can’t understand why you are expecting the popped out gps to do anything in this config. It’s a display only that you look at but don’t interact with. The interaction is done via the AM overlay that sits on top of the gps. Do you happen to be running more than one copy of Xplane?

coastalguy

#5 Post by coastalguy »

Sling, please note that I am not an expert by any means, so noting that I did not understand that what I am apparently looking at on the 2nd monitor, is actually a non-active image? That what I am trying to interact with is actually an overlay on top of the image. Then, considering that when I initially slide the GPS to the 2nd monitor, and that I am able to interact with it, at least initially, then when I slide it to the 2nd monitor, that I am sliding both the image and overlay to it??? Then apparently, once this GPS becomes inactive, that actually it is the overlay that closes down, leaving just the image???

Is this correct? If so, then when I lose the overlay on the 2nd monitor, if possible, how can this be reactivated, over the GPS image, so I can again continue to interact with it on the 2nd monitor??? Also, no one has mentioned if the GPS instrument has or will be forthcoming as an instrument on Air Manager??

Sorry to ask for a confirmation of your response, but as usual on most forums, responders apparently believe they are responding to other experts with their non-detailed answers, apparently not realizing that non-experts can be asking for information. Apparently why, when using forums, I generally receive probably 1 in 20 useful answers before giving up.

jph

#6 Post by jph »

Hi @coastalguy
I think one of the issues is that you are really explaining things quite badly. (I have hardly got a clue as to what your actual issue is) Try to be as logical as possible with your explanation of what you are trying to do and what you cannot seem to do, and if something DOES work, then stops working, what is the process and is it repeatable.
Also it is better is you try not to ask many things / tangents at once in a single reply if there is something fundamental that you seem to be struggling with. The idea of popout displays from the sim and overlay bezels from AM is explained in the video Ralph linked to. As I said above, like others, I am also really struggling to understand exactly what it is that you have a problem with and what things you don't understand ?. It is worth considering that the main issue may well be the way you are putting your questions over. ;)
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Sling

#7 Post by Sling »

Hi,
Part of the problem when answering is trying to guess the knowledge level of the person asking the question so it’s always useful to highlight ones experience level with the subject.

I’ll try to lay out some facts on the matter but your last post made little sense to me so you will need to confirm if you are following these steps.

I asked if you have more than one copy of Xplane in operation but you did not answer. The answer may be important.

1 - Go to panel settings for the panel in question with the gps overlay instrument and un-tick ‘panel on top’ and ‘locked’. Tick ‘click through’.

2 - You start the panel. Once started the area where the gps display would be in this panel should be transparent. You will see your desktop background.

3 - Next you pop out the gps from Xplane if not already done and you move and resize it to fit in the transparent area from the step above.

4 - Once done you go to panel settings and tick ‘panel on top’ and ‘locked’.

You are now ready to use the AM overlay to control the Xplane gps.

Be sure to do each step in sequence and let us know which step you either don’t understand or can’t get to work.
Last edited by Sling on Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

coastalguy

#8 Post by coastalguy »

Sling,
Sorry, no only one instance of X-Plane running. Second, still wondering if Air Manager will eventually include Cessna GPS as an instrument? Read that it would be included late 2020 or early 2021.

Will try the steps (in order) that you provided and let you know. The GPS, transferred to the 2nd monitor I have placed on an open "transparent" area of the Air Manager panel, resized to fit. Possibly the locked/on top you described might be the difference, which I will try based on your steps.

coastalguy

#9 Post by coastalguy »

Sling,
went through the setup as you provided, with no problems like I had. Apparently, other than the "transparent" setting I did have clicked, the "click through" and/or the last "on top" and "locked" may have been the difference.

Now, only my question on whether the Cessna GPS will be added on Air Manager, as an instrument that can be added to the panel, rather than going through having to slide the GPS from X-Plane to a transparent panel? Again, I had read late 2020 or early 2021, but don't see it yet. Thanks again,

Sling

#10 Post by Sling »

I’m not sure where you read that but AFAIK that’s never been the case. Perhaps you did not interpret what was being said correctly. For a time the one instrument overly thing was broke because transparency was broke so there were only messy workarounds. Transparency was fixed quite a while ago now so perhaps it was referring to that is all I can think.

Anyhow once you have the pop out position and size set every time you startup it will return to where you last had it so you don’t have to go through this each time.