Help choosing touchscreen monitor

Latest Information on Sim Innovation's flagship product Air Manager

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Tuckster

Help choosing touchscreen monitor

#1 Post by Tuckster »

I will be using AM 4 with MSFS (and a knobster) and need suggestions on the monitor. I'm guessing from what I've read that 15" is a good size but I'm unsure about the resolution etc. On a budget and looking at Amazon and they range from $150-450. Would do a DIY knobster but I'm a PC dummie so that scares me ... LOL

Ralph

Re: Help choosing touchscreen monitor

#2 Post by Ralph »

Check out this (and more) video from Russ.

Sling

#3 Post by Sling »

It really depends on what you want on the screen and how big you want the instruments to be. I personally find 15” too small for a full panel as the instruments become un-realistic in size when compared to the real world sizes. If it’s just for say a G1000 or a 6 pack and some smaller bits like switches etc then 15” is probably fine. I use two 24” monitors for this reason. But it’s purely a personal choice.

Tuckster

#4 Post by Tuckster »

Thanks for the replies. I'm probably going to start out with only the panels (CJ4) that accept input. The PFD/MFD on the CJ4 are display only so I will just pop them out on my 2nd monitor and use AirManager to use the panels that actually accept inputs (FMS/DCP/AP). Later if I decide to fly something like a G1000 then maybe I will need a 2nd touchscreen.

Crunchmeister

#5 Post by Crunchmeister »

I run a pair of Wimaxit 15.6" screens (as recommended by Russ) mounted on SLAVX monitor stands (also Russ recommended) with a pair of Knobsters (1 DIY, 1 real) and it works great. One 15" monitor on its own really isn't enough to have more than basic instrumentation or a single G1000 type panel. But add a second and suddenly you have enough space to set up some pretty complex stuff. When choosing a monitor, keep in mind that anything above 1080p is a waste of real estate and money at this size, and anything below 1080p and you'll have a pretty low res affair. 1080p is the sweet spot. If you want to move up to 17", if you can find 1440, that would be awesome, but even then, 1080 probably the best choice until you move up past 21". Personally, I find the dual 15.6" setup to be perfect. Depending on your setup, this could be different for you.

Using 2 screens, I have a full CJ4 setup that uses Mobiflight. At least all the instruments that really matter and then a few more for good measure. It looks good and works great.

Some of these instruments were built by user FLRob24 over at the MSFS forums. Key here is the MCDU which is 100% functional and makes entering data so much easier with touch than using a mouse in the virtual cockpit. Rob did a bang-up job on that one. His other instruments had some functions that were INOP or had a few bugs. I've since updated his panels to add some of that INOP functionality and fixed most bugs. I'm looking to revamp his electrical panel next since it looks rather rough (visually) and currently isn't fully functional. He also had a starter panel which didn't work that I managed to get working. I didn't have it in my panel at the time this photo was taken last week. I've since rearranged my layout somewhat and added it. I've also created both the de-ice and lighting panels (still debugging the de-ice panel).

So yeah, 2 screens will pretty much fit anything except the most complicated cockpit setups.
Screen Shot 2021-08-10 at 10.11.19 AM.png
And a Beechcraft Baron setup with dual G1000
Screen Shot 2021-08-10 at 10.33.32 AM.png
- Ryzen 5950x, 64GB 3600MHz RAM, RTX3070Ti

Simstrumentation Instrument dev
Free Air Manager instruments for MSFS available at http://www.simstrumentation.com

jph

#6 Post by jph »

Hi, many may disagree, but as far as resolution goes. I am 100% happy with 1080p on 32" monitors. (not touch in this case - just generally) . everything is absolutely clear.. certainly clearer than the 'real' aircraft . ;) .
I mainly use them for external views, however, a panel on them is absolutely fine.
For most, certainly up to 27" should be absolutely 100% ok for 1080p.
As said, this is my opinion only. Each person may have different views. I use 32" 1080p for daily office and general use and it is absolutely superb. Mind you I am probably 50cm from the screen, but even close it is fine.
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Crunchmeister

#7 Post by Crunchmeister »

jph wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:27 am Hi, many may disagree, but as far as resolution goes. I am 100% happy with 1080p on 32" monitors. (not touch in this case - just generally) . everything is absolutely clear.. certainly clearer than the 'real' aircraft . ;) .
I mainly use them for external views, however, a panel on them is absolutely fine.
For most, certainly up to 27" should be absolutely 100% ok for 1080p.
As said, this is my opinion only. Each person may have different views. I use 32" 1080p for daily office and general use and it is absolutely superb. Mind you I am probably 50cm from the screen, but even close it is fine.
Joe
That's fine for a primary display. I think 32" is getting a bit big for 1080, but that's just my opinion. Whatever works for you is fine.

In the case of the OP, he's specifically asking about smaller touch panels for use with Air Manager + Knobster.

Free Air Manager instruments for MSFS available at http://www.simstrumentation.com

jph

#8 Post by jph »

Indeed he was, however you mentioned resolution and screen size. I am simply clarifying more opinions based on a hell of a lot of personal experience and everyday use. As such that may hopefully help save the OP from spending money needlessly. One of the best things to do when selecting a screen size / res is - if you have access to the store - take a laptop and plug it into one to test. If buying from the internet - at least if you are in the EU, then you have up to 14 days to test and return the item for a full refund with no reason needed to be given.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Crunchmeister

#9 Post by Crunchmeister »

jph wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:53 am Indeed he was, however you mentioned resolution and screen size. I am simply clarifying more opinions based on a hell of a lot of personal experience and everyday use.
Fair enough!