Cessna 208 complete panels for MFS2020, design project.

General company announcements

Moderators: russ, Ralph

MorganDK59FR

Cessna 208 complete panels for MFS2020, design project.

#1 Post by MorganDK59FR »

Hello, I am writing to ask if the community can help me to create a panel for the Cessna 208 of FS2020 by default, or if the Air manager developers can, and if so I will not be the only one to look forward to its release in the premium panels.
I know how to create instruments with the skin man program, I can only do that because I have big difficulties with the LUA and dataref files.
I will be happy to be able to put myself at the service of the Air Manger community and to share instruments for aviation enthusiasts like me.
All people are welcome to join this project.

Best regards.

Ralph

Re: Cessna 208 complete panels for MFS2020, design project.

#2 Post by Ralph »

The 208 in FS2020 is a G1000 aircraft as far as I know, unless there's a steam gauge version as well. Getting G1000 overlays and the G1000 pop outs to work in FS2020 is very cumbersome at the moment. Setting up the pop-outs for each flight doesn't sound very practical. Microsoft / Asobo has to fix that first before it becomes somewhat useful. That's my opinion...

MorganDK59FR

#3 Post by MorganDK59FR »

Hello Raph, thank you for your quick reply. I understand that at the moment this is difficult, for the reason that MFS2020 is not yet finished. After I have many other ideas in my head, for the development of complete panel in the future, unfortunately for the LUA file I am not qualified enough in this field. I would like to use Air manager, free of charge, to help me make panels, to have much more in this great program. I know how to design instruments via the skinman program, personally I would love to send you some designed instruments, in img and with the .skin file, so that if you need to make any changes you can do so and I think it would be very good for you to have a first step done, so that you only have to work with the Lua file.
I would love to collaborate with you, to help you move forward and at the same time make the simulator more immersive.
With kind regards.
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/do ... els/195346
PS : I will give you time to think about my proposal, if you are in favour or not let me know, thank you very much in advance.
Thank you very much in advance.

hiddencreative

#4 Post by hiddencreative »

I have working G1000, G3000 and GTC 580 overlays for MSFS 2020 that are fully functional, and I am working on other C208 instruments, with a nearly complete annunciator panel at the moment.
image0.jpg
C208Annunciator2.png
C208Annunciator.png
Joe - Hidden Creative Industries
joe -at- hiddencreative -dot- org
https://discord.gg/WMKCC9fp

MorganDK59FR

#5 Post by MorganDK59FR »

Thank you for your response to this post.
What I see on the pictures is beautiful. Your Overlays for the G1000, are you going to create ? or are you using a plugin or a program ?
It's really great.
I'm thinking of buying the complete Cessna 172SP panel on Air Manager, to have the communication and autopilot instruments. I think these instruments can be combined with the G1000 so that I can put the G1000 in POPUP and have the Air Manager instruments underneath in readout for my screen.

Sling

#6 Post by Sling »

Overlays for G1000 already exist and have done for quite a while. Perhaps it’s the first time you are seeing them in which case I understand the excitement. Otherwise it’s nothing new.

I apologise in advance for my lack of equal excitement but it’s beginning to grind on me a bit with all the comments about FS2020 bringing all these new things as if no other sims, panels and instruments existed before it or all the stuff people will carry on developing despite it.

MorganDK59FR

#7 Post by MorganDK59FR »

Thanks for your reply, I know how to do the popup for the G1000 and such but as the image above shows the outline of the G1000 instrument. This is the first time I have seen this. I have downloaded the G1000 overlay but is there anyone who can make it work for the MFS2020?

hiddencreative

#8 Post by hiddencreative »

Two replies, in one message. Yes, Sling, there are a few overlays out there that work great. The ones for X-plane are a great example. There are even a few for MSFS 2020, and other sims as well, all great products with a long, rich, history. As a real pilot who has been using x-plane since version 6, (20 years ago), the flight characteristics and models hard to beat. MSFS 2020 and the scenery is bringing a lot of new people to table, and Microsoft, while lacking in the "flight realism" area is making up for it in the "look at this graphic detail" areas. I see the excitement of all these new people coming to the flight sim community, and I will welcome each and every one of them, and still have time for my old time flying buddies. So to a lot of new people, this is exciting, and I am equally excited for them. Hopefully, some young people will become our next great pilots because of it.

And for Morgan, so here is the issue. Currently with MSFS 2020 you can only utilize specific events to send data to the flight sim. Microsoft has supplied us with very few methods to get to that information. This reply is not intended as instructional on how to do that, but rather informative. There are a lot of great resources and videos that explain it in great detail, and I am sometimes on the Air Man Discord and if you catch me there. I sometimes live stream instrument development, and answer questions, but that is another topic altogether. Speaking at a high level, one options is you need to enable developer mode, and you can pull the events from there. Currently we are limited to a few specific event types such as H: or K: events. That being said, Microsoft has also supplied an SDK with an example of the Standalone WASM module so that you can utilize the sim connect interface. So you have a few choices:

1) Using the above method create your own WASM modules for your instruments,
2) Use one that is already out there, such as Mobiflight or Real Sim Gear.

For my overlays, I currently use Mobiflight. My overlays use a combination of MSFS 2020 direct event calls and Mobiflight event calls for functionality (in some cases I have custom events that I have added to my local copy of their "events" file. For the actual hardware, like the G1000 I built, I use the plugin from RSG and my own Arduino code. I am also developing my own Standalone WASM module and will make it available to the Sim Innovations Community for use with Air Manager, so that instrument developers don't have to depend on Mobiflight or RSG.

In closing, this is more than a little overwhelming for most people that are new to the flying or the flight sim community, especially those that have recently joined with the release of MSFS 2020. So, continue to be excited Morgan, there is a lot to learn, and a lot of great information, great developers, and strong communities to help you.

hiddencreative

#9 Post by hiddencreative »

MorganDK59FR wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:47 am Thanks for your reply, I know how to do the popup for the G1000 and such but as the image above shows the outline of the G1000 instrument. This is the first time I have seen this. I have downloaded the G1000 overlay but is there anyone who can make it work for the MFS2020?
To answer this question specifically, since there are several "overlays" available, you need one more bit of information. As I stated previously there are several methods available to get overlays working. You need to know which method was used by the developer who created the overlay, and that should be in the description of the instrument. If Mobiflight (for example) was used, you will need to install and configure that. Then you should have a working overlay.

jph

#10 Post by jph »

Re -
hiddencreative wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:40 pm Speaking at a high level
Perhaps this would be better posted on a mobiflight or Real Sim Gear - or whatever they are - forum as that seems to be the target ? . or, indeed, any of the many sites for the fs2020 game ?. There are loads of game sites out there for all types..... - 'speaking at a high level' ...... :roll:
hiddencreative wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:40 pm In closing, this is more than a little overwhelming for most people that are new to the flying or the flight sim community, especially those that have recently joined with the release of MSFS 2020. So, continue to be excited Morgan, there is a lot to learn, and a lot of great information, great developers, and strong communities to help you.
Overwhelming ? why ?. FS2020 is a game - not a 'simulator' it is trying to offer a best of both worlds and failing as a simulator ...... You certainly seem.............. to perhaps my ill informed personal opinion.............. to 'presume' a lot. :D
The issue with the fs game is that there is a VERY poor SDK, a very poor support structure from the 'developer' and from 'MS' (as always). A total 'pig's ear' as to workaround and botches to get things 'semi' working. Give it another 5 years then try again - IMHO - of course... ;) :)
I do agree that the fs2020 game is bringing many new people to use a flight game, however, it is not bringing 'a lot' to the hobby of advancing beyond the 'try it and move on' brigade. Maybe when they add 'guns' ?
It is aimed at the XBOX console and console kiddies - and the 'real' simmers are there purely as beta testers for the final 'release' that was in alpha stage, and, those poor suckers paid for that :shock: :lol: ....... It is not, I believe, in most - 'informed' - people's opinion a serious 'simulator' it is a 'pretty' game .
It is - IMHO - of course - the epitomy of the "motorcycle mudguard analogy"
"Shiny on top and full of $h!t underneath"
I really DO admire your enthusiasm....... :shock:
I also seriously wish you well in your endeavours, as I can see that they are genuinely well meaning and hope they make an impact.
A few here have played with 'discord' - but the audience is extremely limited - to say the least. I don't think you will find much there Joe. Perhaps make solid videos on Youtube along with all details ? - ask Tony for advice ? I am sure he maybe can help you as he has a superb set of instructional videos that form the backbone of learning for new users for AM. The gold standard.
See - for guidance and advice - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8ZqXX ... subscriber

I really hope I am wrong here - but it seems you are following the path of the "Sadistic necrophiliac who is obsessed with bestiality" .. 8-) :D
as in - 'you might be trying to flog a dead horse'..... ;)
Joe. CISSP, MSc.