New Discord for AM developers and users

General company announcements

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Keith Baxter

Re: New Discord for AM developers and users

#21 Post by Keith Baxter »

Hi,

Well we hit 25 member yesterday. All Gawking but no Talking.

You see this guy :lol: he is not laughing. He is talking. ;)

What will you all like to make this platform get those chins wagging?

Pop a request here and on the Disco.

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

jph

#22 Post by jph »

Keith Baxter wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:10 am Hi,

Well we hit 25 member yesterday. All Gawking but no Talking.

You see this guy :lol: he is not laughing. He is talking. ;)

What will you all like to make this platform get those chins wagging?

Pop a request here and on the Disco.

Keith
Hi Keith,
On a serious note (yes I know - rare from me lol ;) )
Just pondering.... there maybe a few possible reasons for this ? - I am 'thinking out loud', as is semi normal for me. :shock:
From a users perspective, what would and what does this offer as far as any difference from these forums which have full access directly to the developers and are maintained and managed by the developers of the SI / AM application and product?
I can possibly see a super use for specific detailed projects to offer an uncluttered and dedicated area of in depth discussion and development etc, but I wonder about it's use on a day to day basis - compared to here ? - ie: - what is the USP ?
When it was announced, my understanding, possibly incorrect, was that it was more aimed at specific and highly detailed projects that allowed the main contributors to combine their efforts into one dedicated space.
Maybe I misread it and the raison d'être.
Also, to a lesser extent, the use of 'discord' may not be something a user wants to take on as it is yet another data gathering service. Although, I do admire their attempts at user identity verification which is reasonably good from what I can see.
I suppose it is a case of - as I mentioned - of what is the tangible benefit over these forums ? . as, on the surface, it would seem that the use of the discord application cannot offer real time access to the SI and Air Manager Application developers, whereas, these forums do.
I would genuinely be interested in your thoughts as to the benefit of a user using the 'discord' offshoot ?.
I thought it 'was' a great idea initially, as I thought it was, as I mention above, a dedicated area for very specific projects. Maybe it is ? I am just a tad unsure, as I suspect many who have signed up are also postulating.
Thanks Keith. I am certainly not trying to be negative, I am just unsure as to the benefits both perceived and tangible ?
More than likely I have missed the whole point :x , Again, that would be fairly normal for me. Old age etc :o
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Keith Baxter

#23 Post by Keith Baxter »

Joe,

The intuitive is still a puppy.

A point of note is, the forum does not have chat rooms where peeps can discuss aspects and get one on one advice/opinions. This is an avenue to do that. Nothing has to be scheduled. Just request some help and talk.

Not sure how familiar you are with Discord and it's benefits as i have not made connection/association to your handle if you have joined. Sure it is not a forum. But the SI guys are keeping an eye on it and you will see some action from them in time. I am putting together a schedule of topics an hopefully you @jph will volunteer to lead one.

Peeps are apprehensive and unsure. Some have Discord exposure some not. If I look at the other Discord's , It is members chatting among themselves with the odd chime in from the developers/product.

Here is a challenge for you @jph . Set up a suitable time for next week to do a chat session on the discord. We will advertise and you and I can chat on the subject. Make it very basic so most can can get involved. I am sure you will get hooked and enjoy the discussion as will those listening in. All will be free to ask questions.

This is open to anyone wanting to discuss any topic. Scheduled or off the cuff.

We can then talk about negativity and positivity after that experience.

@jph Make connection and get that desire to part knowledge a reality :mrgreen:

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

jph

#24 Post by jph »

Hi Keith,
Thanks for that.
That is so eloquently put and I can tell it is from the heart my friend - hopefully I can say that ?
I now understand more about where you are coming from and what your vision is. I also appreciate that this is a a concept that enshrines differing reasons and concepts for interactions, often in real time, as opposed to a generalised 'forum'. It would appear to offer 'chat' facilities also whereas the normal BBS units do not offer such a thing.
You have certainly made me far more aware of what 'discord' is.
I had never even heard of it before you mentioned it.
Mind you, I don't use ANY form of so called social media. Nada, no facebook, twitter / twatter, insta-whatsit or anything at all similar - no Messenger, no instant chat of any kind.
I retired almost 17 years ago age 47. (yes, I am, and do appreciate that I am very lucky - financially in that respect). One of the first things I did was turn my phone to 'silent'. Also, disable any message service. I tell them to email me. I had to answer these darn calls and messages for most of my later working life. When I chose to retire, that was high on my hit list to remove.
Anyway, :D I see what you are saying, but for me personally, at this moment a 'real time' chat type service is not something that I am at all interested in. But, that is not saying I would never be open to the idea in the future - maybe ?. A very interesting concept and I can certainly see the attraction.
Thanks for the info and feedback.
Joe.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Keith Baxter

#25 Post by Keith Baxter »

Hi,

You all missed out on an interesting Chat between Ralph myself a few moments ago.

We were live on the Discord for all to join in.

Updates of specific topics will be posted here.

Feel free to do you own thing .

News just in from SI ....

A couple of our users have started a Discord channel, which you can join by following this link: https://discord.gg/jhKmwQ9RH7
They are organizing a live audio chat in the tech chat room this Saturday the 13th from 21:00 until 23:00 UTC. You can talk to other users, talk to us (Sim Innovations), ask (technical) questions, we can talk about the current state of Air Manager 4.0, etc... We hope to speak to you soon

Keith
Last edited by Keith Baxter on Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Ralph

#26 Post by Ralph »

You may kiss my virtual hand on Saturday.

jph

#27 Post by jph »

Ralph wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:12 pm You may kiss my virtual hand on Saturday.
Jeez, I thought you were going to say
You may kiss my virtual ring on Saturday.
:lol: :shock: Yikes

I need new glasses haha :mrgreen:
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Keith Baxter

#28 Post by Keith Baxter »

jph wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:06 pm
Ralph wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:12 pm You may kiss my virtual hand on Saturday.
Jeez, I thought you were going to say
You may kiss my virtual ring on Saturday.
:lol: :shock: Yikes

I need new glasses haha :mrgreen:
Joe
:idea: An opportunity to rest that hard worked keyboard an dig out that mic and give it some exercise. ;)

Keith

jph

#29 Post by jph »

Joe
:idea: An opportunity to rest that hard worked keyboard an dig out that mic and give it some exercise. ;)

Keith
Oh, this is something new - as said, I know nothing about discord ///

Are you saying it is a 'voice' service ? - ie - a sort of online 'talk' ? :o
Is it private ? :?
or is it an open arena ?
I simply do not understand this concept ?
I thought you were describing a simple messaging service ?
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Keith Baxter

#30 Post by Keith Baxter »

Joe,

It is an open chat. You chat to an open audience. text, voice, video, stream, podcast.
So if you are chatting about switches on a arduino board then all participants are invited to chime in. Like a conference where anyone is invited.

You can share your screen and show code, diagrams and what you are doing.

Only members of the discord can participate. And moderation may and can be implemented.

Register, go to a chat room and give it a try. I will be around for the next 2-3 hour or so.

Keith