General company announcements

Moderators: russ, Ralph

aab163

Will this kill air manager?

#1 Post by aab163 »

Ralph

Re: Will this kill air manager?

#2 Post by Ralph »

Not really in our opinion. This only works with glass screens. And we also do hardware (switches, etc) for sim building.

russ

#3 Post by russ »

Actually it is great for Air Manager. This just pops-out the display portion of the screens but not the bezel. These will fit perfectly into Air Manager panels with touch( plus Knobster) panels just like we've done on XP11. Just a bit easier since the bezel doesn't need to be removed. The only negative is that the windows need to be manually resized and positioned each session. I have seen there is a possibility that a future upgrade may make it possible to manipulate the windows properties through the system software. It may be possible for Air Manager to automatically resize and place the windows into your Panel layout. There we go writing checks that Corjan has to cash.
Russ Barlow
Air Manager Evangelist

Amerix

#4 Post by Amerix »

Another issue that must be taken into account: when we call the "popout" function for a second screen, it combines with the previous one on a single screen. There's no possibility of using separate screens. This definitely does not solve our problem, talking as cockpit builder.
I may be wrong, or doing it the wrong way. Correct me if that's the case.
"help me obi wan Air Manager kenobi... you are my only hope" :lol:

Ralph

#5 Post by Ralph »

As far as I know FS2020 does not remember that you popped these out and their position. So you have to do it again and again with every flight.

Sling

#6 Post by Sling »

Anyhow I thought the idea was to try and move away from panels using pop-outs because of these issues and the added support questions.

aparsons671

#7 Post by aparsons671 »

actually, with the pop-out screen and AMs arduino capabilities, it's really easy to have an entire cockpit running from one program...and being cross platform for X-Plane, FSX, P3D and now FS2020, all the major platforms for cockpit builders are covered and moving your pit from one platform to another is as simple as ensuring your gauges/panels are cross-platform.

You pop out the GPS or G1000 screen onto a hardware screen surrounded by a bezel with buttons hooked to an arduino, you map the buttons to hardware events in the overlay gauge and now you have a physical bezel with the popout display that it interacts with embedded right inside...

also on that same panel, you can have your gauges running behind a panel via LCD screen, or even control servos via AM and arduino for physical gauges.

In many ways, AM replaces MobiFlight and SimVim both for it's ability to both display a graphic panel of gauges while also providing hardware access for physical panels. I'd still run the AirManager panel on a separate screen for diagnostics purposes to see what the various switches and gauges are showing their reported states versus my physical cockpit switches and servo instruments.

jph

#8 Post by jph »

Am I missing something here ?
This is a guy (the youtube vid) that doesnt seem to have a clue what he is doing - using a PEE EYE as he calls it - set up as a simple hdmi repeater (with touch screen) - that he cannot even work out how to set the screen res and size...and pressing buttons to emulate what is already available ? (badly) ? - and then 'someone' ) probably the same guy who made the vid - or -

https://twitter.com/aab163

might just be spreading the typical clickbait. /////////////////////////////////////////////// :lol:
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Ralph

#9 Post by Ralph »

HDMI repeater? I'm not sure what you mean. Edit: Ah now I see, I was looking at the wrong video. I also don't really see why you want to stream your whole desktop to a Raspberry Pi.

@Sling Preferably yes. But that's not exactly what we said. We said that we do not want to have premium panels that rely solely on pop-outs.

Sling

#10 Post by Sling »

Ralph wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:38 am @Sling Preferably yes. But that's not exactly what we said. We said that we do not want to have premium panels that rely solely on pop-outs.
I understand. I did mean premium panels. Can you explain what you mean by solely in this context because to me solely implies the panel only uses pop-outs and nothing more but i suspect you don't mean solely but perhaps something else. Can you give some examples of acceptable and not acceptacle pop-out use for a premium panel just for clarity.

Tony