Bendix/King Autopilot for X-plane11?

Everything about Flight Illusion hardware in combination with Air Manager or Gstep.

Moderators: russ, Ralph

aviatorGIO

Bendix/King Autopilot for X-plane11?

#1 Post by aviatorGIO »

Hi! Does anyone managed to connect the FI Bendix/King Autopilot with X-plane11 via AirManager 4? It is working on the old G-Step softwate 10.02, althought unfortunatly is not working with Air Manager 4.
Thanks!

Ralph

Re: Bendix/King Autopilot for X-plane11?

#2 Post by Ralph »

It's not compatible with X-Plane. The way their hardware works I was never able to make it work with X-Plane.

The problem is that their hardware turns on any mode and assumes that X-Plane follows, but that isn't always the case, X-Plane doesn't really like to be told what to do.

aviatorGIO

#3 Post by aviatorGIO »

That's really a bummer :( It's an important tool, en expensive piece of hardware, advertised by FI that works with Xplane11. Although even with the old G-Step software it had a limited functionality.
Will it maybe able to work with some limited functionality (like..HDG hold, NAV, ALT HOLD, VS) with Air Manager 4 as well? We ll be grateful if that can happen somehow.

Ralph

#4 Post by Ralph »

I don't know, the thing drives me nuts, even with their software. I had many cases where it did not match the simulator. I guess I can make it do something, but it will never be perfect and I cannot give any guarantee that it will be in sync with the simulator.

aviatorGIO

#5 Post by aviatorGIO »

Ralph.. Personally, if I could have HDG hold, NAV, ALT Hold and VS UP/DN that whould cover the requirements. The G-Step works well in those functions. If you can manage that with Air Manager, then great! :D :D :D Having the instrument doing nothing thought is a bit of a bummer as I said!

Ralph

#6 Post by Ralph »

I suppose I can make it do something. But it really makes my skin crawl :)

jph

#7 Post by jph »

If I had one here, and could get, or at least deduce the custom LCD driver requirements (probably quite easy in relative terms looking at the port usage of the original micro and a 'scope where needed ;) ) . Then I would simply rip out all the FI 'dubious' internals and do it from scratch. A Mega or a PIC could handle that like a breeze, even an Uno but that would most likely be incapable only due to pin requirements for the custom LCD. The low level code would probably need to be 'bit bashed' but at least you would dump all the FI cr&p.
I absolutely detest these totally over priced and proprietary pieces of future door stops. :(
In another year, maybe less, we will have appropriate OLED or LCD panels that can do the same (and in the correct size! - most important
Pah, Humbug :lol:
:|
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.