AM4 and Air Player 4 are not detecting the Knobster

Support for the SimWareKits Knobster in combination with Air Manager and Air Player

Moderators: russ, Ralph

uptimist

Re: AM4 and Air Player 4 are not detecting the Knobster

#21 Post by uptimist »

Ralph wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:15 pm It has been visible ever since. One thing you can try is temporarily renaming the Air Player folder, so it wil start with a fresh configuration.
I’ll try that.

uptimist

#22 Post by uptimist »

uptimist wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:07 pm
Ralph wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:15 pm It has been visible ever since. One thing you can try is temporarily renaming the Air Player folder, so it wil start with a fresh configuration.
I’ll try that.
Ok I give up - which folder on which device?

Ralph

#23 Post by Ralph »

C:/users/your username/Air Player

uptimist

#24 Post by uptimist »

Ok I tried that, it created a new folder, but still the DIY Knobster is not found.

I also tried re-flashing the Knobster on the Air Manager machine - this fails too. I tried with old boot loader and new. Error is “programmer is not responding”. When it fails, it then detects the Knobster automatically and adds it as a device. So it is still working, but not on Air Player. And I’m not sure what to do if I make another one and can’t flash it any more.

Thanks

uptimist

#25 Post by uptimist »

Ok I got it working now (but still not the flash). I think it may have been because I had bad drivers for the Arduino on the Air Player PC. I updated those, and also renamed the folder, and after that it worked, thanks.

I’m still not sure about the flashing - this is CH341 type Arduino Nano clone which worked fine in 3.7 - is there any thing changed in 4.0 for flashing which means these boards won’t be able to be flashed any more?

Cheers

jph

#26 Post by jph »

uptimist wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:55 pm Ok I got it working now (but still not the flash). I think it may have been because I had bad drivers for the Arduino on the Air Player PC. I updated those, and also renamed the folder, and after that it worked, thanks.

I’m still not sure about the flashing - this is CH341 type Arduino Nano clone which worked fine in 3.7 - is there any thing changed in 4.0 for flashing which means these boards won’t be able to be flashed any more?

Cheers
As far as I am aware, the ch34x would make absolutely no difference as AM looks for info from the serial return. The CH340 is a universal and superb USB Serial adapter.
In other words, it looks for a return regardless of the interface providing it offer a serial interface. I have absolutely no issues with the 340 variants. I actually prefer them.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

uptimist

#27 Post by uptimist »

OK, so to reflash an Arduino previously programmed with Knobster, do you have to do anything special like reset it or something? I don't know why it won't flash again in 4.0 (although now it's not a problem because it is working...just curious really)

Sling

#28 Post by Sling »

Nothing special just don’t select the knobster option if you want to use the standard API features.

Moonpilot

#29 Post by Moonpilot »

I recently downloaded AM & AP 4.0, technical support spent a lot of time with me helping me with AP 4.0 but we never tried the knobster, I am running two licenses, one for AM on my laptop where I design panels, and AP 4.0 on my panel machine, which is networked to my visual machine. After getting AP 4.0 working and not crashing, I ended my session with tech support, and didn't run again until the next day where I notice my knobster which I purchased from Sim Innovations, first generation, where I remember having to download a driver, at that time I was running Win 7, now running Win 10 is not working.

I have not started the trouble shooting. I was hoping by now there would be a fix, I read the forums, and others who have had issues with 4.0. Is there a fix now? I don't have the knobster connected to the laptop running AM 4.0, so no idea if the knobster works with the laptop. I will validate usb connections and see if the drivers are working.

I would be happy to see a fix. it appears others are having this issue to.

Serge Luke

#30 Post by Serge Luke »

Alright, back to square one.

I have moved my Air Player license to different computer and activated it. I'm running registered Air Player 4.0.1. It is not recognizing Knobster v1. Device Manager is showing it as "USB2-Serial" with a warning sign. It doesn't recognize it as a Knobster. I tried to add it via Air Manager, connected to the Air Player, as "DIY Knobster". I don't have any COM port available, thus it says "No COM port configured". (The Knobster is working when connected to other computers)
Knobster on Air Player.jpg
How can this be fixed?