AM4 and Air Player 4 are not detecting the Knobster

Support for the SimWareKits Knobster in combination with Air Manager and Air Player

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Ralph

Re: AM4 and Air Player 4 are not detecting the Knobster

#11 Post by Ralph »

The old DIY Knobster has always used com ports. But we changed the procedure because the automatic scanning caused problems with for example Realsimgear. But it has never been a native USB device like the new Knobster.

You can the com port on the Air Player machine in the device manager.

Serge Luke

#12 Post by Serge Luke »

I have tried that as well. Per Device Mgr, there is a COM5 on the laptop running the AP4. When I "Add Device" -> "DIY Knobster" and set it to COM5 (which is the only available), it remains shaded/unrecognized by Air Player. See the attached screenshot. This does not happen on the main PC which runs the Air Manager. There is no difference how the Knobster is connected to either computers. It is recognized by Air Manager 4, and not recognized in Air Player 4.
2021-04-26_6-17-14a.png

Serge Luke

#13 Post by Serge Luke »

I reinstalled Air Player 3.7 in a separate folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\Air Player 3\" so that AP4 is not removed. Then I ran AP3, and it crushed. But when I ran AP4, The Knobster is detected as "Knobster A", and it is functional. Hmm. :|

There is something missing in AP4 that AP3 had when it comes to the first generation Knobster.
Last edited by Serge Luke on Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ralph

#14 Post by Ralph »

It has been tested, so I was pretty confident that it works. But I'll see to give it another try this week.

uptimist

#15 Post by uptimist »

I have same problem running DIY Knobster in Air Player 4.0 - is that supported?

Works fine on Air Manager 4.0, move same device over to Air Player PC, add device (com port is correct, the only one), permanently shows "Searching on port 'COM1'".

I have not re-flashed since I upgraded to 4.0

Ralph

#16 Post by Ralph »

In theory it should work, and it is has been tested. But maybe it got broken again before the release. I will do some testing here.

Ralph

#17 Post by Ralph »

You're right, same thing here. Strange, somehow got broken before the release. I've added it to the to do list.
It'll be back either in 4.1 or a 4.0.x version.

Ralph

#18 Post by Ralph »

I just noticed that it does work when I stop and start Air Player. Can you try this? Since I used the Knobster with Air Manager before I started Air Player (closed Air Manager at that point), I'm not 100% if something kept running in the background, holding the COM port. In other words, in hindsight, I'm not sure if I'm able to reproduce your problem.

I suppose you're not running Air Manager and Air Player on the same computer?

Ralph

#19 Post by Ralph »

It has been visible ever since. One thing you can try is temporarily renaming the Air Player folder, so it wil start with a fresh configuration.

uptimist

#20 Post by uptimist »

Ralph wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:02 pm I just noticed that it does work when I stop and start Air Player. Can you try this? Since I used the Knobster with Air Manager before I started Air Player (closed Air Manager at that point), I'm not 100% if something kept running in the background, holding the COM port. In other words, in hindsight, I'm not sure if I'm able to reproduce your problem.

I suppose you're not running Air Manager and Air Player on the same computer?
I’m running them on separate machines.

Stopping/restarting didn’t help.