AM4 and Air Player 4 are not detecting the Knobster

Support for the SimWareKits Knobster in combination with Air Manager and Air Player

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Serge Luke

AM4 and Air Player 4 are not detecting the Knobster

#1 Post by Serge Luke »

Hi, I've upgraded my Air Manager and Air Player, they look nice. However, my Knobster (original eiditon) is not being detected on either application. I removed from the Air Manager and Air Player settings, and when plugged in, it is not detected.

What do I need to do to ensure The Knobster works with (preferably) Air Player?

Ralph

Re: AM4 and Air Player 4 are not detecting the Knobster

#2 Post by Ralph »

With original you mean DIY? Or did you buy one from us?

Serge Luke

#3 Post by Serge Luke »

I bought this one from Russ' or the operation before it was moved to Sim Innovations.

It is a USB, but know it is not recognized neither by PC with AM4 nor laptop with AP4. When I try to "add a device", "DIY Knobster" comes with COM port configuration.
It does have one red LED light when plugged.

Ralph

#4 Post by Ralph »

Did you flash it in version 4?

Serge Luke

#5 Post by Serge Luke »

I'm not familiar with the term "flesh" in this context.

It was shaded in AM4 and AP4. Then I removed from the list, plugged again but when plugged back AM4 and AP4 are not detecting it.

Serge Luke

#6 Post by Serge Luke »

Ok, so I looked up "Flash" on Knobster FAQ, and I did it when connected to the main PC. It is working in AM4, but not on AP4 yet.
2021-04-24_5-49-25.png

Ralph

#7 Post by Ralph »

It cannot be connected to both simultaneously, that wouldn't make sense.

Serge Luke

#8 Post by Serge Luke »

Well, that is obvious. Please. I have two USB cables, one connected to the PC, another to the laptop.

So, when I connect it to the cable leading to the Laptop, that runs Air Player, the Knobster is not detected. If I "add device" on the airplayer, this is what happens:
2021-04-24_6-23-15.png

Ralph

#9 Post by Ralph »

Are you sure that it is on COM4 on the laptop. If it's on COM4 on the main computer then that doesn't necessarily mean that it's at COM4 on the laptop.

Serge Luke

#10 Post by Serge Luke »

I've tried with every COM port (3,4,6) it offered when selecting "add Device" option. It is not working in Air Player, but it is in Air Manager. I rebooted laptop, main PC, restarted AM, AP, replaced cables, all combinations. Spent 4 hours troubleshooting, which would be fine if I could use the second computer to run panels with Knobster, like I was able to a week ago on Air Manager/Player 3.7. But we are not there yet.

I'm not sure why all of sudden we need to deal with COM ports, since the Knobster is normal USB device. It used to be auto-detected. I don't think it is the hardware issue, since it works in Air Manager as of this morning, after flushing. I'm afraid that something in the version 4 of Air Manager and Air Player is not fine-tuned to communicate with older Knobsters properly. Were old Knobsters tested in v4? Is there a set of instructions how to configure old Knobster in v4?