Knobster (DIY) using NON touch screen ?

Support for the SimWareKits Knobster in combination with Air Manager and Air Player

Moderators: russ, Ralph

jph

Knobster (DIY) using NON touch screen ?

#1 Post by jph »

Hi guys,

Is it possible - in the beta or otherwise - to be able to use a non touch screen with a DIY knobster - for example - click on the rotary control on an instrument with a mouse, and then use the knobster to control the action of that control whether single or dual rotary etc ?

I am looking at a specific project for this using non touch screens.

To clarify - I am looking at this from the context of the home built (DIY) knobster. Thanks.
Regards,
Joe.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Ralph

Re: Knobster (DIY) using NON touch screen ?

#2 Post by Ralph »

Yes the way you select a dial or switch does not matter.

jph

#3 Post by jph »

Ralph wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:47 am Yes the way you select a dial or switch does not matter.
Hi @Ralph
Many thanks for the reply. That sounds superb for what I intend. - please can I ask, is this in the current (3.7) or in the V4 beta - or both ? - has the option been there for quite a while ?
Apologies for ignorance on this as I have not used the knobster before, and at the moment do not have one - I can hopefully flash one soon to the nano, but am struggling for bench space to develop the idea at the moment - a bit chaotic at this end. I am - at the moment - looking at this as a theoretical proposition.
I am looking at a project for users using VR and certainly non touch screens. Also for my own use as a totally single handed solution - without removing the hand from one device to another.
Joe.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Ralph

#4 Post by Ralph »

It has been since the beginning of the Knobster. I don't know which version that was :)

jph

#5 Post by jph »

Hi Ralph, thanks for the reply.
I had an UNO handy instead of a NANO so flashed the hex to that instead of a nano just for testing ;) . All is well. It is much clearer to see with an actual knobster connected :D
Obviously the UNO is purely for testing, it was the nearest one ...... 8-)

Can I ask a favour / request please - for yourself or @Corjan ?
Can you please create a knobster hex file for the leonardo ? - it will be used on a Pro Micro which is a LOT smaller than the nano. The 'pro micro' (32U4) is stock leonardo code and seen as such to the ide (you can flash it exactly the same way as the leonardo - using the leonardo option - it doesnt need a separate designation). Same code - it is simply a 'shrunken' leonardo. - Just the hex will do, it doesn't even have to be built into the IDE, although that would be good.
Should be no reason to change the pin designation at all.
It would be really great to have the option as this is the smallest unit available that is standardised. It would be VERY much appreciated.
Best regards,
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.