Building Knobster Does Encoder com go to GND on nano

Support for the SimWareKits Knobster in combination with Air Manager and Air Player

Moderators: russ, Ralph

brlowe

Building Knobster Does Encoder com go to GND on nano

#1 Post by brlowe »

I know it is a simple question but it is not outlined in the doc on building one.
Does the encoder common go to the GND on the nano or somewhere else?

Thank you

Keith Baxter

Re: Building Knobster Does Encoder com go to GND on nano

#2 Post by Keith Baxter »

AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

ericrolfe

#3 Post by ericrolfe »

Yes. You will have three points on the encoder that go to ground, the two commons for the inner and outer knobs and the ground for the switch. There aren't enough grounds on the nano to make this work, so you'll need to join these together and connect them to the Nano.

This might help:
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3690

Let me know if you have more questions.

Cheers,
Eric

brlowe

#4 Post by brlowe »

My encoder only had 1 common on it. I connected that to the GND near the D2 hole on the nano and all is working great. My Knobster is done and working.
Thank you

ericrolfe

#5 Post by ericrolfe »

brlowe wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:28 pm My encoder only had 1 common on it. I connected that to the GND near the D2 hole on the nano and all is working great. My Knobster is done and working.
Thank you
Great! Congratulations! Which encoder did you use?

brlowe

#6 Post by brlowe »

ericrolfe wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:24 pm
brlowe wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:28 pm My encoder only had 1 common on it. I connected that to the GND near the D2 hole on the nano and all is working great. My Knobster is done and working.
Thank you
Great! Congratulations! Which encoder did you use?
The Elma E37.
Even with the high price of that my cost was about $35 total.

ericrolfe

#7 Post by ericrolfe »

That is a great price!
Where did you find the encoder? Knobs? Costs?

Cheers,
Eric

jph

#8 Post by jph »

ericrolfe wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:04 pm That is a great price!
Where did you find the encoder? Knobs? Costs?

Cheers,
Eric
Hi, this is the most common issue. Encoders (dual rotary) can be had quite easily - however, finding appropriate knobs for them is often the most difficult part - if not nigh on impossible for some.
Deep joy ///////////////// :? ;) :)
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Ralph

#9 Post by Ralph »

Leo Bodnar sells them in the EU. I don't know about any other countries.

jph

#10 Post by jph »

Ralph wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:53 pm Leo Bodnar sells them in the EU. I don't know about any other countries.
Hi Ralph, He sells to almost any country (maybe not N Korea or Iran etc - which is crazy, but that's another issue ;) ) - however, since the ridiculous 'brexit' fiasco, and, the fact that he is in the UK, then any order to the EU (which the UK is no longer a part of) is subject to import duties and taxes. You can even, and probably will, end up paying VAT TWICE !
The situation at this moment is ridiculous. Also, the couriers are inflating their prices out of all proportion as they are also getting hit for all sorts of costs that were never clarified - and are still subject to fluctuation, and also they have to allow and account for delays. In fact, if it wasn't for the lack of traffic due to Covid-19, then it is highly likely that the transfer of goods would be a major catastrophe with most small exporters/imports simply cancelling this non profitable UK/EU - EU/UK market altogether.

The price (of the Bodner 'knobs', initially, is way OTT imho - and always has been, but obviously it would appear he has no competition hence a seller's market with 100% monopoly. However, if in the EU then be VERY careful of ordering - indeed, ordering ANYTHING from the UK as you are likely to be walking with a limp for a week (from the severe shafting you just received) when it arrives and you get the actual bill for the totally unspecified EXTRA costs. taxes, duties and also double VAT in most cases - at the EU side - ON TOP of what you have already paid. In almost all cases these extra costs will not be quoted when the order is placed.
BUYER BEWARE. You will almost certainly be well shafted !

This is in no way knocking Leo, it applies to almost - if not ALL private orders from the UK.
There is supposed to be a limit that, if the value is under a certain amount then it is fine, but this doesn't seem to be working at the moment and it would appear that many EU countries have their own interpretation of this. In Portugal, MANY items are simply held in customs and it is up to the buyer to send complete proof of payment, order details, invoice - often web page copies - etc before the item is released. Even if this then proves the item is 'under' the limit for duties, the customs with often charge a 10 euro 'fee' PLUS VAT ! - for the very UN-'helpful' work that they did for you by holding up the item.

This also applies to items from EBAY UK to the EU - any item, used or unused. Also to 'gifts'
It is a total nightmare at the moment. Hopefully it settles down.
But................ with the ridiculous amount of 'red tape' in the EU, it is unlikely.

If you guys at Sim Inno can set up an EU distribution for similar items then it would be far easier - preferably NOT source the items from Bodner though...

With the prices as they are, It is probably far cheaper to use resin casting with a home made RTV mould (depending on the amount you want), but of course you need a single unit to work from. I am working on that. :shock: ;)

But, at the end of the day, it serves the total muppets right who voted for the 'brexit' lies in the first place. :roll:

Joe.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.