Building Knobster Does Encoder com go to GND on nano

Support for the SimWareKits Knobster in combination with Air Manager and Air Player

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Ralph

Re: Building Knobster Does Encoder com go to GND on nano

#11 Post by Ralph »

It's probably better if I don't go into the Brexit story :lol:

We don't get them at the Leo Bodnar price obviously, but they still are pretty expensive compared to other encoders.
For people that build the DIY Knobster the Alps EC11EBB24C03 might be interesting, if you can find knobs and a proper way of mounting the PCB to the housing.

jph

#12 Post by jph »

;) Re 'brexit' .... I can understand your reluctance to comment as you have a business to run etc .. :)

As a Brit, but living in Portugal as a permanent resident, is is simply amazing that this idiotic fiasco was ever allowed to happen. I know many many people in the UK and I do not know one single person who voted for Brexit. Probably because I don't mix with the 'class' of people who did. I prefer people with an IQ greater than single digits or ones who are not highly gullible or probably racist or nationalist etc (or any combination of the above as they tend to go hand in hand). I also prefer people who do not claim benefits as a lifestyle choice !, or, those that think #DonTheCon is the second coming ...... so that rules out more than 50% of the UK population................... :roll:
And, one of the lead instigators is now PM :lol: ... Ironic... but at least not for long...

Anyway.... back to encoders.

Yes, the encoders are available from various sources. I have some rather nice ones from China for less around 8 euros each. Really nice.
It is definitely the 'knobs' that are the issue.
Do you think it would be possible for you to sell a dual concentric knob set for less than Leo Bodner ? the size of the shafts - internal holes for the knobs -of - 6mm and 4mm are usually fine for most dual encoders.
the ones you mention, the 'alps' are identical to the ones I received from China - as far as I am concerned, they are the same unit. beautifully made.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3305280 ... 4c4dhm5Q6F (yes, these are push button switched also)
The stepped inner shaft is 3.5mm as opposed to 4mm, but that is no issue and easy to get around. If ordering from RS etc, then VAT is added, but if you keep the orders below 25 euros from china, then they import with no cost.
Of course, you can order from china a few days apart so you get multiple orders that stay under the limits..
I will try contacting the company regarding suitable knobs, however, I do believe I did this a year or so ago and to no avail.
I am really tempted to go the RTV / Resin mold technique. Yes, it would mean drilling the completed epoxy resin cast knobs, painting them and then using a small amount of hot glue or similar to attach them.
but the cost should be minimal. If I JUST wanted a knobster, I would almost definitely buy a ready made knob set. But, for my use, I need around 10 / 12 or even more :shock: I also have a stack of 737 hispapanels to get around to building 'one day' - when I can find a good seller of 'round tuits' on line..... :shock: :P

Joe :lol:
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Sling

#13 Post by Sling »

I thought this was an Air Manager Forum not some place to air your personal political propaganda. Please let’s keep it to Air Manager and flight sim.

jph

#14 Post by jph »

Sling wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:14 pm I thought this was an Air Manager Forum not some place to air your personal political propaganda. Please let’s keep it to Air Manager and flight sim.
Ah, an - errm 'brexiteer' :lol:
Chill out man... ;) 'Gammon' is - errm bad for you.... seriously, no worries. Apologies' if I stood on your hamster.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.