Trouble flashing a Nano

Support for the SimWareKits Knobster in combination with Air Manager and Air Player

Moderators: russ, Ralph

RonVF

Trouble flashing a Nano

#1 Post by RonVF »

I am just getting started with AirManger and building a knobster. I downloaded and installed irManager 4.0 Beta. now I am trying to flash the Arduino Nano so I can finish the build of my knobster to confirm both the program and knobster do what I am hoping it does for primarily X-plane 11 and maybe even MSFS. Everytime I try to flash the Nano it times out after 10 attempts. I am getting a avrdude.exe: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x07 error.
A couple additional question; what am I missing by using the Beta verses the paid program V3? I was hoping to look around a bit before I commit to purchasing which I have no problem doing. I notice there are only a few panels in here and no G1000 or GNS430 or 530, is that the same with the paid version? Thanks

Update: I think I found the issue, maybe. The Nano is not an actual Arduino but a knockoff I bought on Amazon. It says Nano V3.0 ATmega328P. I have an Arduino Mega 2560 and it flashed with no problem so I guess these knockoffs wont do the job.
Thanks all.

Ralph

Re: Trouble flashing a Nano

#2 Post by Ralph »

They probably work but note that there's an option for old Nano's when you flash it, you'll probably need to turn that on.

I'm not really sure what you mean with the G1000 and GNS's, what are you looking for exactly?

RonVF

#3 Post by RonVF »

Ralph wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:42 am They probably work but note that there's an option for old Nano's when you flash it, you'll probably need to turn that on.

I'm not really sure what you mean with the G1000 and GNS's, what are you looking for exactly?
I tried to use the option for the old Nano’s that didn’t work either. The issue I’m having is my PC / Windows 10 isn’t connecting properly to the device or assigning a comm port. I get an error message in the device manager and it says no drivers available. When looking for drivers I’m not sure where to find them or go and Windows won’t do the search.
As for the G1000 GNS question
I am looking to see if there is the ability with AirManger to have a G1000 panel as well as either the Garmin GNS 430 or GNS 530 when building a panel.
I hope that makes sense?
Thanks

Ralph

#4 Post by Ralph »

Not really... We don't have those instruments ourselves, only X-Plane overlays, so I'm not sure what your goal is.

The driver depends on the com chip they're using. It might be the CH340: https://sparks.gogo.co.nz/ch340.html

RonVF

#5 Post by RonVF »

Ralph wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:02 pm Not really... We don't have those instruments ourselves, only X-Plane overlays, so I'm not sure what your goal is.

The driver depends on the com chip they're using. It might be the CH340: https://sparks.gogo.co.nz/ch340.html
If I am reading this correct the chip I believe is ATmega328P. The add on Amazon listed the item as Nana V3 ATmega328P.

As for the overlay, I believe that is all I need. I am simply trying to use X-plane 11 along with a knobster so I can practice some instrument work, having it as close to real world flying as possible.

RonVF

#6 Post by RonVF »

Ralph wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:02 pm Not really... We don't have those instruments ourselves, only X-Plane overlays, so I'm not sure what your goal is.

Disregard my last reply. I went to the link you referenced, downloaded and installed the ch340 driver and now it works. I was able to flash the Nano for knobster under the old loader. screen says success. Now I just need to learn how to use AirManager so I can try it out and see if my DIY knobster works.
Thank you

Ralph

#7 Post by Ralph »

ATmega328P is the microcontroller, the CH340 is the chip that does the RS232 bit.