Knobster 10 degrees per click

Support for the SimWareKits Knobster in combination with Air Manager and Air Player

Moderators: russ, Ralph

brlowe

Knobster 10 degrees per click

#1 Post by brlowe »

I tried to look for the answer but cannot find it.
I’m using the beta air manager with FS2020 and if I click on the heading knob and then turn my knobster it moves the heading bug 10 degrees per click. Both the inner and outer knob do this. Is there a way to correct this?

Ralph

Re: Knobster 10 degrees per click

#2 Post by Ralph »

That's an old FSX bug which is still in there. In FSX it helped to rotate in both directions a few times.

I'm not gonna start with how I feel about FS2020 :lol:

Steku

#3 Post by Steku »

Check if you don't have any controller connected with bindings done directly in MFS2020, with dual or multi position always on switches. Example: Honeycomb Alpha yoke This bug is well documented on flight simulator forums. Use FSUIPC instead of assigning switches directly on MFS2020.

Ralph

#4 Post by Ralph »

Oh you're right, I've heard about that one too. Different bug. One of the many...
Yesterday I was on radial -2 :) And the approach mode with the GPS made me rocket with -1000fpm into the approach lighting.

brlowe

#5 Post by brlowe »

Steku wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:14 pm Check if you don't have any controller connected with bindings done directly in MFS2020, with dual or multi position always on switches. Example: Honeycomb Alpha yoke This bug is well documented on flight simulator forums. Use FSUIPC instead of assigning switches directly on MFS2020.
I do have an Alpha yoke. What is FSUIPC? If I use that can I get the knobster to work correctly with FS2020?

jplewis02

#6 Post by jplewis02 »

From what I can work out if you have a hardware input that triggers and stays stuck high then this problem can arise. I saw it recently and determined that it was my knobster. I did a little digging and wonder if it might be caused by a floating input that might be due to Knobster not having off-nano hardware pull down resistors. I think the Nano supports the internal pulldown function but have not looked at an airmanager sketch to see if it is used.

Sling

#7 Post by Sling »

If it’s with FS2020 then this is a known bug and nothing to do with knobster.

Ralph

#8 Post by Ralph »

If you think it's the Knobsters then you can easily test it with an instrument in the Create/Edit tab that does a print on each direction change.

jph

#9 Post by jph »

jplewis02 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:02 pm From what I can work out if you have a hardware input that triggers and stays stuck high then this problem can arise. I saw it recently and determined that it was my knobster. I did a little digging and wonder if it might be caused by a floating input that might be due to Knobster not having off-nano hardware pull down resistors. I think the Nano supports the internal pulldown function but have not looked at an airmanager sketch to see if it is used.
Hi, although as pointed out it would appear to be another issue - just a note with reference to the Knobster. I think you may mean pull-up, not pull-down resistors. If it is a commercial knobster, then that is not an issue. if it is home made, then you should ALWAYS have pull up resistors on the A B outputs. - directly at the encoders. I am unsure if the internal weak pull ups are used on the nano ports, but even if they were, you really should always use external ones.
As for a knobster sketch for the nano, there isn't one, which is a shame, but I understand why due to IP and trouble shooting. - I would be even deliriously happy to know what the protocol / data and in what format AM requires this for a knobster to be recognised and used, then I could write my own sketch as I would like to use the a Pro Micro 32U4 arduino... but hey :D ;)
Joe. CISSP, MSc.