Knobster without AirManager in MFS2020?

Support for the SimWareKits Knobster in combination with Air Manager and Air Player

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Steku

Knobster without AirManager in MFS2020?

#1 Post by Steku »

As Asobo is not going to implement proper multimonitor support in MFS2020 soon (they said 2021-2022) I'm contemplating experimenting with VR in MSF2020, instead of my 5-monitor setup :(
Is there any way to attach Knobster (which I already have) to single function (like COM1 radio freq setting) in MFS2020 without the need to select the function by touching it on AM COM1 instrument?

I can imagine 2 ways:

1. Is this possible to see Knobster as ordinary HID device and attach commands to it directly in FSUIPC or in MFS2020? So far I failed to discover Knobster as HID device under Windows 10.

2a. Is this possible to use instrument in AM (existing COM1 or a special "fake" one) which will be permanently attached to Knobster, without the need to touch the rotary dial image on AM panel (which won't be visible when flying in VR googles) first? I would rather not want to have AM window visible in VR, don't even know if MFS2020 VR will allow having and interacting with such window.

2b. I managed to find in AM library the "Knobster avionics controller" - should it be useful here (after adaptation to MFS2020)?

Ralph

Re: Knobster without AirManager in MFS2020?

#2 Post by Ralph »

1. No.

2a. You can always create your own instrument for this. Air Manager instruments do not show up in VR as far as I know.

2b. I'm not sure what you found, but you can do your own thing with libknobster: https://github.com/SimInnovations/libknobster

Steku

#3 Post by Steku »

If I have a just one panel with just one instrument, equipped with just one dual ring rotary and push button (single unit) - is it possible to select it automatically at panel startup for the use with Knobster without the need to touch (or mouse click) the knob (for the yellow selection circle to appear, you normally need to touch the knob displayed by AM).

Sling

#4 Post by Sling »

Nope. You have to touch it.

What you want to achieve would be easy without knobster. Just use an encoder and write a small script to make it do what you want. It will always power on and control without touching anything. Easy.

Steku

#5 Post by Steku »

Thank you for the explanations.
I already have 8 encoders on my Behringer MIDI panel connected via FreePIE and vJoy.
But the Konbster has so great feel, it's so conveniently placed on my yoke housing and is also dual encoder based - I can't imagine flying without it, even if in VR in MFS 2020 it will stay limited to just one instrument.

Sling

#6 Post by Sling »

If you are not willing to change the knobster for something that looks and feels exactly the same as a knobster but works without the need for touch then you are out of luck. The knobster is primarily designed to work in combination with a touch screen. There are other Xplane plugins that make use of the knobster for other use scenarios but these are obviously not for FS2020.

jph

#7 Post by jph »

Dump the MSFS game and get a real simulator like X-Plane then you will have no issues with your multi monitor setup which is FAR FAR beyond ANY current VR offerings.
Same as X-plane is far far beyond the msfs game. It is like comparing iRacing to GTA... no comparison.
in 5 years time - or maybe 10 years - considering what happened to FSX - maybe try again ?
in the mean time, enjoy a real sim. Life is short.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.