Air Manager misses clicks when turning the Knobster

Support for the SimWareKits Knobster in combination with Air Manager and Air Player

Moderators: russ, Ralph

sjbell

Re: Air Manager misses clicks when turning the Knobster

#21 Post by sjbell »

Please read the following Microsoft articles:

"USB devices may stop functioning correctly when multiple devices connected to the same USB hub go into selective suspend"
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... ices-conne

"Demystifying USB Selective Suspend". https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/ ... a-p/270736

jph

#22 Post by jph »

Great, but it doesn't fix the issue. Are you using win XP SP2 or SP3 ? (which that specific article refers to,,,,,,,)
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the USB subsystem on Windows XP SP2 and SP3.
or, are you referring to the other article from 9 years ago ? :roll:
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

jph

#23 Post by jph »

Steve -

How to disable selective suspend
https://windowsreport.com/windows-10-di ... e-suspend/

(ignore all the crap trying to sell you some useless software, the basic info is there) ;)

Also see enclosed image from my PC.
There is a reasonably good quality usb 3 hub connected to a 3.x port. the USB root hub on the right is an integral part of the mainboard system !. as I said before, the mainboards are not all individual ports and most often a usb hub is already onboard. The mainboard is top of the range Z390 Aorus Elite. Hence the individual ports on the mainboard option is moot.

The article I linked to explains how to disable Selective suspend - I also show the option in the power options advanced setting in the image - set this to disabled if you need to.
With the hub(s). you can select power management and turn OFF the option to allow the computer to apply power management by unchecking the box.

Hope this helps.

If it doesnt - then try a quality usb 3.0 hub. I use Inateck hubs only but YMMV, - note - there are some really dodgy usb hubs out there.... you tend to get what you paid for :shock:

If you want to, you could program two nanos (or any arduino) with a simple sketch to send bursts of - say - 5 or 10 characters around 200 to 400 ms apart - or whatever you need - 200 to 400ms between characters would be similar to a turn speed of an encoder if you were counting pulses and also with a delay inbetween batches to emulate a non constant use.
Plug them into a hub and monitor each output on a terminal window (teraterm / zoc etc) and see if you get missed output which I very much doubt.
hope that helps
Joe
power option and SS.jpg

here is also an image of the mobo attached usb hubs.
There are two sub units that are not mobo specific, the top one (generic superspeed) which is the Inateck 4 port usb 3.0, and the NVidia which is the USB C port section on the 2080ti, the rest are all mobo specific - both USB 2, 3, and 3.1 etc. - the mobo is a collection of hubs - not simply independent ports. Most important.

power option and SS hubs mobo.jpg
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

jph

#24 Post by jph »

I Just did a quick test -although not too scientific- :D as it uses HID etc...

1 usb 3 hub, inateck - 2 usb2 keyboards plugged in, one mouse, and one usb 2 dvd drive.... set the dvd drive to read, type quickly on both keyboards and shove the mouse with my elbow lol :lol:
Monitor keyboard output in notepad++ not an issue.. also, the read from the dvd was not an issue. . Yes, it is not quite apples to apples - but.........................
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

sjbell

#25 Post by sjbell »

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the information.

I had tried turning off USB selective suspend from Control Panel before, but I tested it again just now with both USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 hubs and completely powering down the whole system. It made no difference. I have also spent a lot of time experimenting with both Selective Suspend and Enhanced Power Management settings in the registry.

I have tested with USB 3.1, USB 3.0, USB 2.0, and USB 1.1 hubs (two different types). All are powered hubs. The only combination that solves the problem is to connect the two knobsters to a USB 1.1 hub and run it straight back to either a USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 port on the PC. In that configuration everything works perfectly.

Yes it is a workaround, but it solves my problem so I am done with it.

Thanks,
Steve

jph

#26 Post by jph »

No worries Steve,
Whatever works for you. At least you have a far better idea of what is not causing the issue.
The open source nano design uses an FTDI FT232R usb to serial converter on onboard, these are fully USB2 full speed compatible unit although any USB serial converter (within reason) can be used. Any reasonable USB 3 hub will support full backwards compatibility to usb2 - and also to 1 / 1.1 with no issues at all. Hence again, the problem is unlikely to be there either, and its apparently not a windows issue. It also appears to be not a power management or suspend issue.
Keep a stock of USB 1.1 hubs lol :mrgreen:
Joe. CISSP, MSc.