KnobXP menu appear/disappear on a button press

Support for the SimWareKits Knobster in combination with Air Manager and Air Player

Moderators: russ, Ralph

PeterBremer

KnobXP menu appear/disappear on a button press

#1 Post by PeterBremer »

Perhaps I oversaw it in the documentation or forum:

Is there a way to let the KnobXP selection menu appear or disappear with a button press, either keyboard or yoke/joystick?
Possobly commands to tie to such a button/yoke/joystick?

Thank you very much in advance,

kind regards,

Peter.

Ralph

Re: KnobXP menu appear/disappear on a button press

#2 Post by Ralph »

No it's always there, unless you close it. I usually place it on the yoke, or just above the door on the side. Then it's not constantly in sight.

PeterBremer

#3 Post by PeterBremer »

That is a shame, because you should be able to quickly get it in to view.
A trick I did is make it a Windows window, then you can switch with Alt-Tab.
Not really what I was looking for, but better than always in view or at a hidden place to get it from.

The whole idea behind using knobster is that you make it far more realistic and less time consuming for controlling dials.

I must say it is the next thing you should buy after yoke and pedals to get a realistic simulation.
Especially for controlling, and in that order f enhancement:
  • G530 right hand knob
  • Heading bug
  • OBS of HSI or NAV1 and NAV2 indicators
  • NAV and ADF frequency settings
Those are tasks to do regularly during a flight, especially in critical navigation phases

Ralph

#4 Post by Ralph »

It doesn't have to be in your view very prominently. Like I suggested on your yoke, like you would have a tablet maybe in a real aircraft. You would have to look down to see it.

PeterBremer

#5 Post by PeterBremer »

Ralph wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:50 am It doesn't have to be in your view very prominently. Like I suggested on your yoke, like you would have a tablet maybe in a real aircraft. You would have to look down to see it.
That does not work as the window is not fixed to a position in the cockpit, but fixed to a position on the screen.

What is a kind of a solution, is make the value of 'h' in config.json 100 instead of 256. Then the window with its reduced height gets less obtrusive. You wull see three selections: previous, current and next in that case, which is enough.Then with two buttons on the yoke I can scroll up and down through the selections.
I still need to try 50, to see if that is even better and only shows the current selection.

Then an isue is that the menu to restore the window will overwrite that value back to 256. I think it should not touch that value if it is reasonable.
As long as you do not remove the window the problem does not occur.

SimPassion

#6 Post by SimPassion »

+1
The KnobXP is still the most ever valuable addition to the cockpit, though also still have to be enhanced in its behavior to be more "Pilot friendly"

Gilles

Ralph

#7 Post by Ralph »

Then you probably have the wrong version of the window running. You can run it in VR or non-VR. When you have it in VR, you can move it around in the cockpit and it'll stay there.
You can select this from the plugin menu.

PeterBremer

#8 Post by PeterBremer »

Ralph wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:06 pm Then you probably have the wrong version of the window running. You can run it in VR or non-VR. When you have it in VR, you can move it around in the cockpit and it'll stay there.
You can select this from the plugin menu.
Ah ok, thanks, thought VR was for VR sets only. Will try it.
Anyhow, when selecting h = 50 it only shows the selection, which works well.

PeterBremer

#9 Post by PeterBremer »

SimPassion wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:39 pm +1
The KnobXP is still the most ever valuable addition to the cockpit, though also still have to be enhanced in its behavior to be more "Pilot friendly"

Gilles
Fully agree! An extremely valuable addition to the cockpit. Makes it much more fun and realistic. Now setting up the 530 is that much quicker that it does not disturb the flight process anymore in an unrealistic way. Idem for e.g. heading bug, OBSes, frequencies etc.

To make it more pilot friendly I modified the order of selected instruments such that it fits better real use. Easy to do in the config files.
Next I will make the names of the selections shorter, such that it is quicker to read/recognise, for that I have to modify a config file and copy/rename some files.