Knobster support FS2020?

Support for the SimWareKits Knobster in combination with Air Manager and Air Player

Moderators: russ, Ralph

bigblip

Re: Knobster support FS2020?

#21 Post by bigblip »

Here's another one where they seem to have solved problems. Looks like Cosmos users have to do a bit of work to get it running (as do some Rift S users - me incuded, although it only took two minutes). Good luck! https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/vr ... /340997/10

Ralph

#22 Post by Ralph »

I've seen those messages, but here it doesn't even start VR. It says that there's no headset detected.

Ralph

#23 Post by Ralph »

I managed to get it going, I had to turn on something for OpenXR deep in the SteamVR settings.
In general I'm pleasantly surprised by how well it performs compared to X-Plane, and it looks better too. Head movements glitch a little once in a while, I'm not sure if that has to do with the tracking, but I never had that issue with X-Plane. The menu is quite cumbersome. Mouse button presses in the menu are often not registered, even though the buttons highlight. I hope that will get better over time. All in all, as Russ also said, they got it working quite well for a first version.

Tuning a frequency is a pain in the butt :) So I think the Knobster can be very useful when it comes to those kind of inputs (frequency, heading, etc...).

bigblip

#24 Post by bigblip »

Glad you got it going! Yes, I think for a first pass it's pretty good, considering how much more work the sim makes the gpu do. I hope that future patches will improve performance. I'm still tweaking mine to find an acceptable balance between stuttering and graphics quality - not quite there yet, but I am getting close. I haven't properly explored the OpenXR tweaks yet - that's a job for later today (need to catch up on sleep as I had to be at Heathrow to meet my son at 6am this morning).

Personally I'm not a fan of the mouse control implementation - much prefer the pointer in X-Plane, although having to pick up and drop the hand controller can take you out of the immersion. KnobXP takes away that pain, hence my keenness to see an equivalent in MSFS. At the moment I am trying to develop muscle memory to be able to find my hardware knobs and switches 'blind'. Throttle controls are relatively easy, as is the trim wheel, flaps control, ignition, parking brake, gear etc. What is pretty much impossible, though, is operating my radio stack without being able to see the values. The Knobster would be massively beneficial. I thought Russ's mapping of the heading bug to the dial on the Bravo was a good idea. I'm still waiting for mine to arrive :-/

Cheers!

christb

#25 Post by christb »

This certainly would be nice to have in msfs VR. Will be keeping track of this and the voice attack thread to see what becomes of it all.