Knobster control selection in VR

Support for the SimWareKits Knobster in combination with Air Manager and Air Player

Moderators: russ, Ralph

fpascal4

Knobster control selection in VR

#1 Post by fpascal4 »

Would it be possible to add the ability to select the control you want to change in VR with the VR controller, and then use the Knobster to change the value? This would be similar to selecting an instrument in Air Manager and then using the Knobster to change the value. It would be much more intuitive to use than having the Knobster VR selection window open and having to scroll/select from several configured instruments to change.

BTW, thanks for a great product. The Knobster under VR has saved me from losing my mind when changing radio frequencies with the VR crontroller.

-Freeman

Sling

Re: Knobster control selection in VR

#2 Post by Sling »

I don’t think that will be possible as there is not a way for AM to know what you have clicked in the sim.

fpascal4

#3 Post by fpascal4 »

Is there an official venue for requesting enhancements to X-Plane, or to ask questions of the developers/support? If I had been designing a SDK for VR, providing a call that returns the dataref to the currently manipulated control in the cockpit would have been in the spec. Perhaps it is there, but no one has found the documentation for it.

I would be happy to ask, if I knew where to ask.

Ralph

#4 Post by Ralph »

I've requested this at Laminar Research a couple of weeks / months ago. But they weren't interested it seemed. So I'm afraid that's a no ...

dpaget21

#5 Post by dpaget21 »

Is there a way to use a physical button to control which input the knobster controls? I saw a video that Russ made using a VR box but cannot figure out how to make buttons respond to switch what input you want selected
https://youtu.be/mWfKkJdA8ZY

Sling

#6 Post by Sling »

Short answer is No. What Russ made was a button box and dedicated encoder. It’s not knobster.