Knobster no longer working correctly

Support for the SimWareKits Knobster in combination with Air Manager and Air Player

Moderators: russ, Ralph

kedmondson1970

Knobster no longer working correctly

#1 Post by kedmondson1970 »

Before the latest update to AM (3.6) my Knobster was working perfectly. Now, sometimes I touch the screen and the knob lights up yellow, but the Knobster does nothing. Yes it's enabled and connected in the settings. I've re-installed AM and re-flashed the Nano, and reinstalled the plug-in. One question I have is how many detents per pulse is it supposed to be set at, and does that affect how it works? I did manage to get it working temporarily--however, the outside knob worked correctly and the inside knob took two clicks to make one click in the sim, about half the time turning it to the left caused the knob in the sim to go to the right, and sometimes it just did its own thing spinning several revolutions at once. I believe that was on two detents per pulse. If I change it to one, it doesn't work at all. I'm so frustrated! It was working perfectly before! Help please!

Ralph

Re: Knobster no longer working correctly

#2 Post by Ralph »

Did you run the latest Arduino installer? https://siminnovations.com/wiki/index.p ... #Installer

kedmondson1970

#3 Post by kedmondson1970 »

Yes I did, actually did it two different times. I used the "Knobster, old boot loader" routine.

Sling

#4 Post by Sling »

The detents per pulse setting is dependent on the encoder you are using for your knobster. If you don't know what to look for in the encoder spec's then post the part number and I'll take a look at what it needs.

kedmondson1970

#5 Post by kedmondson1970 »

Well it’s whatever was sent with the original Knobster kit. I have it mounted behind my panel so it would be a PITA to remove and check it.

Sling

#6 Post by Sling »

I don't have one of those so I can't help. I believe it was an ALPS encoder. If someone can confirm the exact part number we can check what the detent per pulse setting should be.

russ

#7 Post by russ »

The original Knobster kit was shipped with a Elma E 37 encoder. I have several and they are all working just great with Air Manager 3.5 and 3.6. Are you sure you have upgraded the Arduino software on the Knobster to the latest version ?
Russ Barlow
Air Manager Evangelist

kedmondson1970

#8 Post by kedmondson1970 »

Yes, I have ran Arduino installer 3.6 home use several times. I selected Arduino Nano (Knobster, old bootloader). Everything seems to install just fine.

kedmondson1970

#9 Post by kedmondson1970 »

I ran the Arduino installer again just for good measure, and it is "partially" working now. Turning the knobs right or left yields the proper result in the sim. However, it is now taking two clicks of the knob to yield a result, where before each click yielded a result. For example when tuning a radio, it takes two clicks to change a digit. This happens across the board on all instruments--530, 430, transponder and the autopilot. Any suggestions?

SimPassion

#10 Post by SimPassion »

kedmondson1970 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:06 am I ran the Arduino installer again just for good measure, and it is "partially" working now. Turning the knobs right or left yields the proper result in the sim. However, it is now taking two clicks of the knob to yield a result, where before each click yielded a result. For example when tuning a radio, it takes two clicks to change a digit. This happens across the board on all instruments--530, 430, transponder and the autopilot. Any suggestions?
I can't figure out if "Arduino Nano (Knobster, new bootloader)" option will then help in your case
Anyway, wait before any action, to get acknowledment by Sim Innovations, hoping things will not getting worse with my suggestion !!!

Gilles

I've put a screenshot of options already there in the installer :
posting.php?mode=quote&f=38&p=18110