Knob Select

Support for the SimWareKits Knobster in combination with Air Manager and Air Player

Moderators: russ, Ralph

russ

Re: Knob Select

#11 Post by russ »

Yes Sling is correct the vr box I made is a standard Arduino Nano wired to a dual push-button encoder and 9 buttons. It uses the standard Nano software for Air Manager. I will get the file and post it as well as the STL file I used to print the case. There is also a small mount underneath to clip the Nano into. The wiring is a bit tedious. I also have sound files to speak which button is selected (since there is no yellow highlight to denote which knob is selected). I find it very handy in VR but really wish someone could help me create an X-Plane plugin to take the Knobster idea to VR. I have a few ideas.

here is a link to the file for the instrument...too large to upload with all the sound files included I guess.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/40uadub7t4wf0 ... 7.zip?dl=0

You should be able to look at the code and figure out the in assignments(or change them as you see fit for your hardware).

The 3D printed case file below fits the DeskTop Aviator green pushbuttons(didn't see on their website but they still have them and sold me 30 a few days ago) and the Elma E37 dual encoder.
VR Knobster Case.zip
(231.51 KiB) Downloaded 220 times
Russ Barlow
Air Manager Evangelist

Gixxar

#12 Post by Gixxar »

russ wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:51 am Yes Sling is correct the vr box I made is a standard Arduino Nano wired to a dual push-button encoder and 9 buttons. It uses the standard Nano software for Air Manager. I will get the file and post it as well as the STL file I used to print the case. There is also a small mount underneath to clip the Nano into. The wiring is a bit tedious. I also have sound files to speak which button is selected (since there is no yellow highlight to denote which knob is selected). I find it very handy in VR but really wish someone could help me create an X-Plane plugin to take the Knobster idea to VR. I have a few ideas.

here is a link to the file for the instrument...too large to upload with all the sound files included I guess.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/40uadub7t4wf0 ... 7.zip?dl=0

You should be able to look at the code and figure out the in assignments(or change them as you see fit for your hardware).

The 3D printed case file below fits the DeskTop Aviator green pushbuttons(didn't see on their website but they still have them and sold me 30 a few days ago) and the Elma E37 dual encoder.

VR Knobster Case.zip
Thank you very much, your coding is far superior to mine you have done it in less than half the amount I have done. One question, when using the the dial to change the com/nav numbers it jumps by big amounts not just one up or down. is this because I might have a different rotary decoder then what you used?

I will have a play about with it see if I can get it to work for me.

Thanks again

Lee

russ

#13 Post by russ »

You may have the encoder connected incorrectly. Mine seems to work fine. Let me know if you can’t figure it out.
Russ Barlow
Air Manager Evangelist

Ralph

#14 Post by Ralph »

Lee, make sure you've configured the correct encoder detent in the script. And if you're using 3.5, download the beta plug-in.

Gixxar

#15 Post by Gixxar »

Ralph wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:19 am Lee, make sure you've configured the correct encoder detent in the script. And if you're using 3.5, download the beta plug-in.
I can't seem to find the Beta Plugin.

Could you tell me where to find it please?

Thanks

Lee

Gixxar

#16 Post by Gixxar »

It's OK I have found it. Right under my nose...LOL

Gixxar

#17 Post by Gixxar »

I have installed the Beta Plugin and every thing works perfect!!!!! :D :D :D :D

Thank you to everyone for all your help.

Lee

russ

#18 Post by russ »

I would love for you to upload a picture(s) /video of the hardware arrangement you are using to try it out.
Russ Barlow
Air Manager Evangelist

Gixxar

#19 Post by Gixxar »

russ wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:48 am I would love for you to upload a picture(s) /video of the hardware arrangement you are using to try it out.
As soon as I have finished building it I will put up some pictures :D