Fixing Airspeed between Miles and Knots

Help with Air Manager Android version

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Aziz

Fixing Airspeed between Miles and Knots

#1 Post by Aziz »

Hello...

I am new to Air Manager. First Thanks you Russ Barlow for introducing me to Air Manager via youtube. Great work.

OK.. I have a question / problem.

I have discovered that one of the instruments that came with the Air Manager (created by Jason Tatum - Nice work Jason, love the instruments) works great on a Cessna (for which it is designed) shows the Airspeed correctly in knots.

However, I prefer to fly the PA28 Cherokee (A2A), which displays on the Sim Screen the airspeed in miles, and when using the above instrument (which I like), it shows the speed in miles, when it says knots.

The question is: Is there a way to go into this instrument and change it so the value it is displaying is in Knots?? and what program I can use to change this (I am ok with modifying gauges, as I use to do it on Saitek FIP.)

failing that, Can I design my own gauges for Air Manager, and what program should I use for this. And do I need to buy license, keeping in mind that I will only use Android version, which I already have a license for?

Thanks for any help.

Ralph

Re: Fixing Airspeed between Miles and Knots

#2 Post by Ralph »

You cannot modify instruments with the Android version, only with the desktop version. To get started with creating your instruments you can follow these tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLvlqMB ... fgML5TNaWV

Aziz

#3 Post by Aziz »

Hi Ralph,

Thanks for the link and the explanation. I have downloaded the demo version of Air Manager for windows and installed it and it looks pretty good, but obviously using Android version makes more sense as it is wireless and independent and you can add as many devices as you want without impacting processing of server.

That said,

I have noticed that the Air Manager for windows contains more gauges and panels, and I was wondering how I can get those into my android. I did notice device tab in Air Manager windows, but even after I enter the IP address of my android device, I still can't access my device. Any advice?

SimPassion

#4 Post by SimPassion »

I think iPad and Android are more like "Standalone PC/MAC" and not seen inside AM like external devices
so more autonomous and we can't send instruments to them

Gilles

[EDIT] they also get their specific online instruments store

Sling

#5 Post by Sling »

Hi,

For what you want to do you need the desktop version. In my eyes the Android and iOS versions are only practically useful for displaying the instruments and some panel arranging. The big downside they have is they are as Gilles said self contained apps that can’t have new instruments added without an app update. I personally think a Raspberry pi running Air Player and whatever monitor you choose is a better solution but I do understand people possibly considering tablets that they already have.
You will not see other machines running AM in the Devices tab as it’s not designed for that.

Tony

Aziz

#6 Post by Aziz »

Thanks Tony,

OK, I have a better understanding of Android (tablet devices) vs others (pc, Raspberry, Ardrino, etc.). And you are right, Tablets are less hassle to put together (as in they are already together with all the bits), but a Raspberry will certainly give more flexibility for creating home simulators from scratch.

I think there is room for both (and I can see many users mixing both those platforms.)

One problem with the Android (tablets version) is trying to get instruments aligned. Using fingers to stretch and place is not that easy or accurate and you end up with instruments that are different size and wrongly placed. So, it would be a good idea if you can configure the screen of the tablet on your desktop and then send it down to your android. (or find a better way for instrument placements on the tablet devices. (it is working, but slightly ugly)

Also, for people like myself, who can modify and create instruments (basic knowledge from playing with XML gauges), we should be allowed access to build new instrument and upload them for other to use (so a development side to desktop) without having to purchase a desktop license that will not be used to display gauges.

As an example, after many weeks playing with my GA airplane, I have decided to switch to B747, and I discovered there was no PFD or glass cockpit for FSX or P3D.. it is only available for Xplane. I would have taken the xplane version and ported it to FSX.

It is great product none the less, but we need more instrument (both paid and free) and it can only happen if we can develop new instruments. if we start selling them, then you can start charging us licenses. This will be good news to AirManager community as a whole.

Sling

#7 Post by Sling »

Aziz wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:51 pm

Also, for people like myself, who can modify and create instruments (basic knowledge from playing with XML gauges), we should be allowed access to build new instrument and upload them for other to use (so a development side to desktop) without having to purchase a desktop license that will not be used to display gauges.
I’m afraid you are on to a loser there. It has already been suggested to allow instrument upload to the tablet apps but it is not possible due to App Store restrictions on apps that don’t allow uploaded code that is not integral to the app. The iPad is good for display of the included instruments, but it’s not a serious development tool. If you want to develop you need the desktop version.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Tony

Aziz

#8 Post by Aziz »

Hi Tony,

I don't mind bad news, and the whole point of having this forum is to bounce idea's back and forth, and I am positive if certain idea's make sense, it will certainly stick, especially if it benefits everyone, which is the case here..

With regards to App Store restriction.... It is an Apple Ipad restriction more than an Android restriction. As I already have Android apps that allows me to interact between desktop and Android quite easily.

Over all I agree. Apple Ipad "was" a better device, but due to Apple short-sightedness and love of controlling people using their software. I can see a repeat of Windows OS vs Mac OS happening all over again. Mac OS was a great product, but it was closed... Windows OS was effy product, but it was open (at least on hardware level)

Let us hope the people at Sim Innovation will see this point, and open development of instruments to all, at the desktop. and make money from instruments sold... That would be the sensible approach I think.

Alternatively, split the development from presentation and only charge for presentation side of the software.

More gauges / instruments available = more customers = more money for developers.... simple really.

Corjan

#9 Post by Corjan »

Hi,

It is indeed only a restriction on the iPad platform. And one that they have loosened up on a bit.
You can have downloaded code run on the iPad, but only if that code is viewable and editable within the App.

For us, that is not the route we wish to take. We would like the Desktop to be the only place to create instruments.

Air Player for Android is certainly possible, in fact, I have a very early version working quite okay, so expect that to drop at some point.

To be honest, I feel we offer quite a library of panels/instruments as it is. But I agree, the more, the better.
Since we have less and less time to do the actual instrument development, we are going to explore if we can get people that are interested help us with developing community or premium panels (paid off course).

Corjan

Aziz

#10 Post by Aziz »

Hi Corjan,

Thanks for your comments, and I believe you are taking this in the right direction. Development should be done on the Desktop, and it will be great if the desktop can "manage" all the devices just as it does Rasberry. Unified control in a way.

I am not a "great" instrument developer, but I have come a long way since my Commodore vic20 displaying "hello world" :D

please add me to the list of community members who will convert FSX instruments from XML gauges into Airmanager. (I have already done that for FIP things. I will offer them for free since I am using many developed by others which I got for free.. My goal is to enjoy flying since I am unable to "fly" in the real world anymore.