Recommended devices

Help with Air Manager Android version

Moderators: russ, Ralph

metaph3r

Recommended devices

#1 Post by metaph3r »

Hi.

Are there any recommendations of cheap Android devices that run Air Manager smoothly? I already read that you need at least Android OS 4.4. What about CPU and RAM? It also should have a QXGA (4:3) screen.

I already found
  • Galaxy Tab S2
  • Google Nexus 9
  • Medion Lifetab P9702

Ralph

Re: Recommended devices

#2 Post by Ralph »

The minimum is Android 4.0, and it doesn't matter if it's 4:3 or 16:9. Someone gave you false information ;)

metaph3r

#3 Post by metaph3r »

Hi. Thanks for the answer. The mentioning of the aspect ratio was a bit misleading. I would prefer a 4:3 screen over a 16:9 screen. It was not meant as a requirement.

Yeboman

#4 Post by Yeboman »

Any update on recommended devices? Given the greater functionality vs. the iPad version I am willing to look into a 13‘ android device.

What do other users use / recommend?

Thx
Yebo

Ralph

#5 Post by Ralph »

Not really. There are so many Android tablets, it's hard to give a suggestion. I would recommend a 16:9, but most of them are.

jph

#6 Post by jph »

If you want to use a touch screen, then, afaik, (please correct me if I am wrong :shock: ) anything before android ver 4.4 will result in the most annoying ' nav bar' popping up on the screen that you cannot get rid of. This is not a limitation in AM, it is an Android SDK issue.
Beware of that even if the program supports the version of android. I would look for versions ABOVE 4.4 !.
Tablets, although rare, that had off screen #nav# bar buttons do not suffer from this issue. - and example of a bad choice would be an otherwise superb lenovo S6000 device. Unusable if you want touch screen.

https://developer.android.com/training/ ... navigation

Of course, I am only speaking from my experience - others may know more ........................................ if you NEVER plan to use touch screen - ? and with android, I would expect most want to use it - then the world is your crab. (or was it oyster ?) ... seriously, beware of the <4.41 issue with nav bar and touch. it makes it, inho, unusable. (IF you ever touch the screen)
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

jph

#7 Post by jph »

metaph3r wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:31 am Hi. Thanks for the answer. The mentioning of the aspect ratio was a bit misleading. I would prefer a 4:3 screen over a 16:9 screen. It was not meant as a requirement.
The Apple devices have a more ;generous; screen layout nearer the 4:3 layout - the ipad devices, although I have never used anything by apple on cost grounds for the rip off value, but, the now older devices may offer you a good solution.
Again, I am aware of screen layout format for the apple devices, but admit I know jack about the actual use of them.
Last edited by jph on Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Ralph

#8 Post by Ralph »

That's certainly true what @jph is saying, have at least an Android 5 tablet. Although if you would buy a new one, it would probably have Android 9 or 10, maybe even 11? You can find cheap used iPads, as long as it's able to run iOS 9. Again, I would recommend to go a bit higher than 9 as the minimum, as that might change in a few years.

MiGMan

#9 Post by MiGMan »

I can heartily recommend the Lenovo M10 10" tablet. I'm using several - they can be found cheaper ATM as there is a new model out.
http://www.migman.com/hw/lenovo/tab-m10.php

MiGMan

#10 Post by MiGMan »

Update: I'm using 5 of the Lenovo tablets now: http://www.migman.com/pax/migman/201001.php