Garmin G5 on RPi 4

Support for connecting hardware to the Raspberry Pi GPIO

Moderators: russ, Ralph

jgpyne

Garmin G5 on RPi 4

#1 Post by jgpyne »

Has anyone tested this premade panel on the Rpi 4? I am hoping to get it working but am having some issues. My RPi Airplayer is recognized and operational however when I attempt to run the G5 I am only seeing portion of it on the bottom left corner of a 1920x1080 screen. The Sim Innovation splash screen does come up clearly and centered on this screen. I've tried manipulating the Device display window size on the Garmin G5 RPi Airplayer but it always comes up the same way. I'm starting to think this is in some way a display driver thing on the RPi but I'll admit I'm a windows guy so I'm not 100% sure what to check. Any help is appreciated!

Corjan

Re: Garmin G5 on RPi 4

#2 Post by Corjan »

Hi,

On the Pi 4, for now the panel size should always be exactly the monitor resolution.
Is that the case?

Corjan

jgpyne

#3 Post by jgpyne »

Thanks for the recommendation, that is helping.

Stubenflieger

#4 Post by Stubenflieger »

i have the Pi4B with 2GB and it runns smooth! used the Pi3B in the past and there it was really slow and had stutters.

here is a Video - so you can see what I mean:

Happy landings!
Markus
Image check my videos on youtube!

Corjan

#5 Post by Corjan »

Hi,

Nice video, thanks.

I was also a bit surprised at the difference. But it makes sense, since the G5 relies on canvas drawing, which in turn requires more CPU time then using sprites.
We also make an update to the G5 recently so it runs a bit smoother on the Pi 3, still not nearly as smooth as the Pi 4 though.

Corjan

Stubenflieger

#6 Post by Stubenflieger »

Hi Crojan,

I have tested the old and the new version of the G5 on the Pi3 and you are absolutely right, it makes a huge difference but the Pi4B is unbeatable.

Happy landings!

Markus
Image check my videos on youtube!