How to copy a panel from a Pi to another one ?

Support for connecting hardware to the Raspberry Pi GPIO

Moderators: russ, Ralph

PapaLima

How to copy a panel from a Pi to another one ?

#1 Post by PapaLima »

Hi,

I just got a PI3 to replace a PI2 (still working with its SD card and gauges).

:arrow: I would like to transfer/copy the existing panel and its gauges from the PI2 to the new PI3. The PI2 will then be used for another panel in the cockpit.

I have installed the AirPlayer Pi image on the PI3 on a new SD card. It is seen by AM3.4 but panel empty (normal fresh install).

If I take the SD card from the PI2 and place it to the PI3 slot, AM says PI3 is not activated.

I just took another AM Player PI licence but before going further I am wondering if there is a best way to to that. Because I am afraid to loose my work done on the PI2.

Hope it is possible somehow

Philippe

PapaLima

Re: How to copy a panel from a Pi to another one ?

#2 Post by PapaLima »

I answer to myself.

I put all three Pi online and activated.

I found the "Clone panel" feature in the "Add Panel" menu. I have then cloned the pi2 panel to the pi3 device. Easy thanks AM 8-)

The Captain instruments gauges are now driven by the new PI3.
But the Pi3 stays with the SimInnovations logo. No gauge is loading. Like in the photo below:

The engine panel on the right is driven by another PI3 on another 17" screen in portrait mode

Bye

PapaLima

#3 Post by PapaLima »

PapaLima wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:41 am I found the "Clone panel" feature in the "Add Panel" menu. I have then cloned the pi2 panel to the pi3 device. Easy thanks AM 8-)
I did not realized this morning .... the clone panel fonction copy an existing AM Desktop panel to the PI only....
I got the old panel I made first using AM desktop and not the access to the one from the other Pi...

Thus the question still remains : Is it possible to copy a panel from a Pi to another Pi ?
(both registered and visibles under AM Devices window)

Corjan

#4 Post by Corjan »

Hi,

Unfortunately, that is not possible at this moment.
It is indeed only possible to clone from the first AM panels to an Air Player.

I will add this to the TODO list, will probably make it into AM 3.6.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Corjan

PapaLima

#5 Post by PapaLima »

Hi Corjan

Thanks for your answer. At least I will not become crazy trying all the menus :lol:

I am happy to see I suggested something !!

It is "a bad for a good". It forces me to document my Pi2 panel and to rebuilt it on the new Pi3.
We never take time to document what we do...

May I add two others suggestions ?

1) backup & restore of an entire panel to put the built panel in a safe place an be able to restore it on a new SD card
2) panel description export in text format to have its size, color, the gauges names and their positions/size (what I am doing by hands in fact)

Have a good continuation
Philippe

marcel_felde

#6 Post by marcel_felde »

That would be very helpful, as I experienced last weekend again: Sometimes, the Air Player installation does not work anymore. With several Rapsberries in the setup this is very likely. So had to reinstall the image on the card. And then had to redo the panel.

This is annoying, unnecessary and takes a lot of time. And would have been worse, if there would have been visitors who want to see the flightsim in action. ;)

So a function to backup and reinstall panels from devices would be wonderful! :idea:

Sling

#7 Post by Sling »

I don’t understand these issues. To create the panel for AP it would of needed to exist in AM so why not just flick it over to AP again from AM.

I must be missing something.

marcel_felde

#8 Post by marcel_felde »

No, the panel only exists on the Pi. I do place the instruments to fit in the hardware frame.

I could try to to the panel in AM first and then copy it over, but it feels to be more steps. And I do work on two PCs with AM on the Gauges.
So I would have to synchronize the panel for all single instruments on two computers too…