connect a diy yoke to airmanager raspi

Support for connecting hardware to the Raspberry Pi GPIO

Moderators: russ, Ralph

on3adc

connect a diy yoke to airmanager raspi

#1 Post by on3adc »

Hello,

Is it possible to connect a diy yoke setup to airmanger?
I wonna control de rudders and ailerons with the connected arduino.
A button is not a problem but when i try to use potmeters i dindt find a solution.

Please help

Thanks in advance.

Filip

jph

Re: connect a diy yoke to airmanager raspi

#2 Post by jph »

on3adc wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:00 pm Hello,

Is it possible to connect a diy yoke setup to airmanger?
I wonna control de rudders and ailerons with the connected arduino.
A button is not a problem but when i try to use potmeters i dindt find a solution.

Please help

Thanks in advance.

Filip
Hi Filip and welcome to the forums. Do you just want to make it work as a standard flight controller ? or do you want to have the ability to manipulate the values between yoke and sim ?.
In either case you would need to use a standalone arduino with the 32U4 controller (Leonardo / Pro Micro) and first use that to make a complete yoke that is visible as a flight controller / variable axis and button unit that plugs into USB as a HID device. Then use that as a standalone device or, if you want to, use the game controller features within AM as an intermediary. The game controller features in AM rely on the unit (yoke) being seen as a HID device anyway.
Hope that makes sense ?
Oh, you could also use a Bodner board if you wanted to, but the arduino Pro Micro - for example - is really cheap and does the job.

Oh, edit - just noticed the Rasp Pi part... Hmm, not sure if it would be fast enough via Air Player on a Pi... - to be honest though, I know nothing about the Pi and AP as I have never used it. Whichever way though the yoke would still need it's own dedicated HID controller as mentioned above.
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Ralph

#3 Post by Ralph »

You can do it with Air Player and an Arduino.
Check out this example.
http://siminnovations.com/wiki/index.ph ... n_tutorial

on3adc

#4 Post by on3adc »

Hello,

Thanks for the answer.
I gonna try it.
Now i know in wich direction i have to search.

Filip

jph

#5 Post by jph »

Ralph wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:01 pm You can do it with Air Player and an Arduino.
Check out this example.
http://siminnovations.com/wiki/index.ph ... n_tutorial
Hi Ralph,
Have you ever tried that with a yoke system / throttle / pedals when the only control of the pots on the yoke were via AM ? . I would have though it was rather a lot to ask of AM to keep up with the inputs in a smooth fashion. Also there would be no calibration in Windows or in XP / or whatever sim.
Surely a simple dedicated HID controller is by far the best option ?.
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Ralph

#6 Post by Ralph »

Corjan talked at TeamViewer to someone on the forums a while back. He had his controls wired through Air Manager, so he could manipulate the values going to the sim. He said that he didn't notice any delay. This was with the joystick API, but I don't expect that to make much difference with the Arduino.
I think there are a few others that do (almost) the same.
We have never tried it ourselves.

Sling

#7 Post by Sling »

A throttle quadrant is not critical like perhaps a yoke/joystick or pedals would be so that and other analog controls that are not super critical such as cowl flaps are likely no drama.

I’d still put my primary controls through HID though because it has established support and features built in to all the sims.

jph

#8 Post by jph »

Hi Ralph,
Thanks for the info.
If I understand you correctly then that is a different scenario though as the controller is already a HID device connected to the PC and AM is intercepting and manipulating the calls. The common factor is that the joystick / game controller is direct HID.
For an arduino / AM to process everything directly from the potentiometers / hall devices or whatever and then apply a smooth and consistent output to the sim I believe is probably / almost certainly not the best choice or indeed, may not function correctly. However, it would be an interesting test.
I think it is a case here of 'horses for courses' and for a game controller is far far far easier and MUCH more appropriate to use a HID device. If any manipulation is needed beyond what the windows calibration and - certainly in X-Plane - the amazing flexibility of the individual axis curve settings then it would be a great opportunity to attempt to use the AM Game Controller / Joystick API alongside the existing HID device. (IMO the device must still be HID though)
Joe

(edit - just noticed Tony and I overlapped there)
Joe. CISSP, MSc.