Arduino Uno not connecting

Support for Arduino in combination with Air Manager and Air Player

Moderators: russ, Ralph

jph

Re: Arduino Uno not connecting

#21 Post by jph »

Sling wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:25 am
jph wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:24 am

If hw_connected() returns true then the device is connected. So yes it can be used to check the connection.
Please define a 'device' in relation to a complete board connection ? (as opposed to looking at individual ancillary connections to the device). That would be informative.
Device is irrelevant in this context. If an individual pin returns as connected then by definition the board must be connected.
No, That is not the case. In the case of messageport this is not available. Yo appear to be confusing a stock downloaded pre-set image for use in AM as opposed to a messageport script.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

erj145sim

#22 Post by erj145sim »

Hello everyone,

Has anyone had any luck using Inland-branded clone boards (bought at Microcenter here in the US)? I’m trying a Mega 2560 R3 and a Nano FT232. My Mac and my Windows machines both recognize the boards, but they don’t show in Air Manager in either platform. I could flash them both using AM4 demo. But Air Manager only gives me the “searching” message in the devices tab.
Any insight? I’m sure it’s either not supported or I’m missing something really simple, but I can’t figure out...
Thanks in advance,
Marco

jph

#23 Post by jph »

erj145sim wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:49 pm Hello everyone,

Has anyone had any luck using Inland-branded clone boards (bought at Microcenter here in the US)? I’m trying a Mega 2560 R3 and a Nano FT232. My Mac and my Windows machines both recognize the boards, but they don’t show in Air Manager in either platform. I could flash them both using AM4 demo. But Air Manager only gives me the “searching” message in the devices tab.
Any insight? I’m sure it’s either not supported or I’m missing something really simple, but I can’t figure out...
Thanks in advance,
Marco
Hi Marco,
The fact that they flashed ok in AM demo means there is nothing wrong with the boards. Also, it is fully open source hardware so there are no 'clones'. The only thing that is protected is the trademark. Units not bought from the arduino store are often of better reliability.
Are you definitely looking at the correct com port in AM ? - find the com port and flash them again. You can check the com port in device manager in windoze. No idea about 'mac'.

Joe.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Ralph

#24 Post by Ralph »

The unofficial Arduino's are not really guaranteed to work. In theory they should of course, but we cannot test them all, as there are a zillion of those things.

erj145sim

#25 Post by erj145sim »

@ Joe jpg - thank you for your help! I went to Device Manager and identified the COM ports for each device, then went ahead and re-flashed both cards using the confirmed COM values. Now they are both recognized in my windows machine!

Then I plugged the Mega into my Mac and, with a little bit of decoding of the MAC COM port naming (I am not a Mac super user, so this is all new territory for me!) I found that the Arduino Mega is connected to /dev/tty.usbmodem22101. I only GUESSED that is the correct one is based on the location ID shown on the Mac System Report, which lists the Arduino in location ID 0x02210000 / 16. I guessed 2210000 in system report was related to 22101 in the ports list in Terminal. Then in Air Manager, /dev/tty.usbmodem22101 is listed as a COM port, so I picked that and - lucky me! - it worked. I will try again the same process with the Nano and see how it goes. I guess I just wasn't thinking straight as I was staring at things for literally hours here...so thanks again so much for the reply!

I noticed that the onboard LED in both boards was flashing (as in blink script flashing) after I flashed the cards the first time - and neither of them are flashing now...so perhaps the first flash attempt failed and I didn't notice...again, wasn't thinking straight...

@ Ralph - LOL "there are a zillion of those things" - right on!

Thanks again guys, much appreciated!

Marco

Ralph

#26 Post by Ralph »

They usually work, I haven't heard about any of them not working, but we cannot vouch for all of them :) I hope the Nano works as well, but I guess it will.

jph

#27 Post by jph »

erj145sim wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:01 pm @ Joe jpg - thank you for your help! I went to Device Manager and identified the COM ports for each device, then went ahead and re-flashed both cards using the confirmed COM values. Now they are both recognized in my windows machine!

Then I plugged the Mega into my Mac and, with a little bit of decoding of the MAC COM port naming (I am not a Mac super user, so this is all new territory for me!) I found that the Arduino Mega is connected to /dev/tty.usbmodem22101. I only GUESSED that is the correct one is based on the location ID shown on the Mac System Report, which lists the Arduino in location ID 0x02210000 / 16. I guessed 2210000 in system report was related to 22101 in the ports list in Terminal. Then in Air Manager, /dev/tty.usbmodem22101 is listed as a COM port, so I picked that and - lucky me! - it worked. I will try again the same process with the Nano and see how it goes. I guess I just wasn't thinking straight as I was staring at things for literally hours here...so thanks again so much for the reply!

I noticed that the onboard LED in both boards was flashing (as in blink script flashing) after I flashed the cards the first time - and neither of them are flashing now...so perhaps the first flash attempt failed and I didn't notice...again, wasn't thinking straight...

@ Ralph - LOL "there are a zillion of those things" - right on!

Thanks again guys, much appreciated!

Marco
Hey Marco, :)
Glad you got it working ok. I am sure the nano will be absolutely fine. The fact that they work under windows absolutely confirms that.
@Ralph - a zillion and 2 now :lol:
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.