Arduino DIY Knobster

Support for Arduino in combination with Air Manager and Air Player

Moderators: russ, Ralph

onthemark40

Arduino DIY Knobster

#1 Post by onthemark40 »

I made the DIY Knobster using Arduino Nano and flashed as a Knobster. I am using the Propwash Dual encoder with push button and running MSFS 2020. I am also running the latest version of Air Manager. Knobster works great and I am able to adjust the KHZ and MHZ frequency without issue. The problem is when I push the button frequency is not transferring. I think the button is working because when I select the knob on the com radio it turns yellow and when I click the button it turns another shade of yellow like when tuning frequency. Is the com transfer supposed to work with DIY Knobster or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,

Mark

Ralph

Re: Arduino DIY Knobster

#2 Post by Ralph »

That isn't a feature, so it's working as it should :)

Sling

#3 Post by Sling »

You don’t say which radio you are using but as Ralph says I think they all don’t use the knob button to swap frequencies. You could add that to the required instrument if you wanted though. FYI the knobster will only mimick the soft control of any given instrument. As an example if the instrument has a button co-located with a dual concentric dial then you will be able to use all the knobster function. Also note that if the dial is only a single type then you can use either knobster knob to operate it. The knobster button will never function if the instrument does not have a button co-located with the highlighted dial.

Tony

onthemark40

#4 Post by onthemark40 »

Awesome. Thanks for the quick reply guys. This forum is awesome and is full of great information. I was starting to second guess my electronic skills 😀. I guess I just figured because the Wiki instructions for the DIY Knobster had the push button wired to D6 it would work. I’m going to start looking at the general radio stack coding and see if I can change it to add the swap button. Not sure if that will be possible when Arduino is flashed as a DIY Knobster. Not a big deal as I also have a Mega and I want to wire that up with separate dual push button encoders to control all the radio and NAV functions.

Thanks,

Mark

Ralph

#5 Post by Ralph »

You can make a clone of the radio and place an invisible button on the dial which has the same callback as the regular swap button.

onthemark40

#6 Post by onthemark40 »

Thanks Ralph. That’s what I was thinking. I will give it a try.