Horizontal Slider 3 Position 8 Pin Switch

Support for Arduino in combination with Air Manager and Air Player

Moderators: russ, Ralph

jasong

Horizontal Slider 3 Position 8 Pin Switch

#1 Post by jasong »

Hi I'm after some help with the above type of switch, I don't understand how to wire it up to the arduino.

Here is a link to a schematic I googled and if you look at DP/3POS I think this is the type of switch I have.
https://switches-connectors-custom.cwin ... EMATIC.PDF

I understand that I will need to write logic for the switch in AM but I don't know how to wire up the common C ? do I wire it to pins 5,6,7,8?
IMG_5346.jpg
Thanks for the help.

jph

Re: Horizontal Slider 3 Position 8 Pin Switch

#2 Post by jph »

Hi Jason, @jasong
It's early for my brain :D but on a quick glance at the PDF, and presuming you need only 3 positions - as in used as a single pole 3 way switch, then one option is to 'common' pins 1,3 and 6
Take the pins 2,4 and 7 as inputs to the Arduino. Pins 5 and 8 are N/C (not connected).

Then, you would monitor the 3 signal pins - the inputs to the Arduino - pins 2,4 and 7 as follows.
Switch position 1. active pins (pulled low) = pin 2.
Switch position 2. active pins (pulled low) = pin 2 and pin7.
Switch position 3. Active pins (pulled low) = pin 4.
So by checking for these active combinations on the 3 signal pins you can tell which of the 3 positions are active.
Hope that helps ?. (as said, it is early, so government warnings apply haha) ;)
Joe

Just a note to clarify how the switch works - just in case you are unfamiliar with such.
there are 2 parts to the switch - ie: basically 2 independent 3 position switches in the package with the 'top row' as in the orientation of the PDF diagram, pins 1 2 3 and 4 as one 3 way switch, and the bottom row, pins 5 6 7 and 8 as the second, completely independent 3 way switch.
With the switch in position '1' then, mechanically, pins 1 and 2 are connected on the top row, and, independently, 5 and 6 on the bottom row. This happens as the 'sliding contact' inside the switch is linked to move as one.
If you move the switch to position 2 (the middle) then - on the top row then the only pins now connected are now pins 2 and 3 are. in position 3, then the only pins connected together on the top row are pins 3 and 4.
the same occurs on the 'bottom row' but replace 1 2 3 4 with 5 6 7 8. - again please remember the top row and bottom row are independent of each other but move as one. That is where the DP as in 'double pole' in the switch nomenclature comes in.
Last edited by jph on Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

jph

Re: Horizontal Slider 3 Position 8 Pin Switch

#3 Post by jph »

Hi Jason,
a bit OT, but a picture speaks a thousand words. :)
From that image I can now tell that the display units (the originals) in that instrument are 'Panaplex' units as opposed to VFD. Interesting. :geek: That is purely down to the DS8884A driver chip.
Geek head on....
Joe

Edit - that would mean the anode voltage could be between 150 and 200V dc. not the VFD 30V (ish) we originally discussed. interesting. :D . Not a worry though as I have several - well a lot - of nixie tubes and several PSU units for the anode supply that produce this voltage. A hell of a lot different to the 30V we originally discussed :o :mrgreen: .. still, no worries.

a really good anode high voltage supply is - https://www.lumos.sk/high-voltage-power-supply-kit/ - I think I have 3 or 4 of these somewhere.... :shock:

Again, OT, but beginning to understand the early KING units. ;)
Joe. CISSP, MSc.